- The purpose of this consultant is to Review the National Level Policies for Community-Based Distribution of Misoprostol for Prevention of Postpartum Hemorrhage and Subsequent Status of Implementation and Scale-Up.
- Hold in-briefing meeting with USAID/Mission and Ministry of Health if requested;
- Coordinate submission of study protocol to appropriate in-country ethical review board if required;
- Collect relevant documents for a desk-review including but not limited to national policies, strategies, guidelines, etc (with support from MSH Country Office);
- Conduct desk-review of documents;
- Identify key informants (with support from MSH Country Office);
- Contact key informants, introducing the study, and scheduling interviews (with support from MSH Country Office);
- Conduct key informant interviews using study interview guides;
- Conduct site visits for additional data collection as needed;
- Translate (as needed) and transcribe recorded oral interviews into written form;
- Conduct any follow-up interviews as necessary;
- Organize data and conduct preliminary analysis of findings;
- Organize and lead Findings Validation Workshop with key stakeholders (with support from MSH Country Office);
- Hold out-briefing with USAID/Mission and Ministry of Health if requested;
- Conduct final data analysis and synthesis of findings.
- Draft five-ten page case study report on findings which can be adapted into a technical brief and the final consolidated cross-country findings report. A report template and outline will be provided.
- Experience conducting qualitative public health research;
- Relationships/contacts with relevant maternal health stakeholders in-country (MOH, donor representatives, implementing partners);
- Familiarity with maternal health issues including postpartum hemorrhage preferred;
- MD, MPH, or PhD preferred;
- Excellent communication skills and flexibility in responding to comments and requests;
- Excellent verbal and written English skills.
Outputs and Deliverables
- Electronic copies of desk review documents submitted to ASH MNCH Advisor by the end of the first week following engagement.
- Lists of key stakeholders and key informants submitted to ASH MNCH Advisor by end of first week.
- Written brief outlining key findings from document review submitted to ASH MNCH Advisor by end of second week.
- Transcriptions of at least 10 key informant interviews sent electronically to ASH MNCH Advsior by third week.