Purpose of Job
- This post is responsible for the operational management of IELTS tests in Lagos and Port Harcourt.
- The post holder will manage 1.) the expansion the IELTS business in Southern Nigeria and. 2.) manage the IELTS team and venue staff based in Lagos. 3.) monitor and improve the security of delivery of the tests. 4.) manage the delivery of IELTS preparation courses in Lagos and associate centres, and. 5.) monitor and improve the customer experience of the test process
Context and Environment
(e.g. dept description, region description, organogram)
- Nigeria, a tier 1 country, has the largest project, programme and exams operations in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). We operate from 4 main office locations. Individually, the Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt Exams offices alone are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd largest exams businesses by income in SSA respectively. There are currently 36 members in the exams team, 22 of whom are in the Lagos office. We operate a hub-and-spoke system in Nigeria with the main support functions, Business Support Services (BSS) and customer services, located in Lagos.
- The Exams business in Nigeria has grown significantly in recent years. We doubled our income and volumes between 2011 and 2013. In 2014/15 we delivered 90,000 examinations, this financial year the target is 100,000 exams on a turnover of £8.5m, and by 2016 we expect to double on 2013 figures to 120,000 exams.
- An investment in over 15 new posts in the exams team in Nigeria, of which this is one, will support our doubling ambition and address the issues highlighted below.
- We have a number of challenges namely: team capacity, quality of delivery, security risks and infrastructure restraints which we are addressing through organisational change, capacity increases and technological solutions. The Global New Operating Model for Exams (GNOME) and Global Financial Change projects are critical to our business plans.
- We are a global leader in a cross-SBU project on school quality and engagement in Nigeria, and we are developing a second cross-SBU project on skills and employability - again, a first for the British Council global network.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
(including people management and finance)
- Business development: responsible for assisting with increasing capacity to accommodate planned growth in the Nigeria IELTS business
- Financial control, monitoring and reporting: to assist the IELTS Administrator with managing the Nigeria IELTS businesses to target by monitoring and reporting income and costs on a monthly basis.
- Responsible for ensuring IELTS income reconciliations, refunds, over the counter payments and transfers are completed to standard.
- Reliability: to ensure examinations are delivered securely according to board requirements.
- Quality: to deliver a high standard of customer service to our IELTS test takers as measured by our own Compliance and Quality Standards, IELTS partner standards and customer service standards.
- Impact: to achieve impact for the UK and the BC through providing access to quality UK qualifications
- Leadership: to assist with managing the IELTS delivery teams, including venue staff and examiners to achieve challenging objectives.
IELTS Test Delivery:
- To ensure that IELTS tests are delivered to examination board, partners’ and QCA standards. To assist in delivery at peak times. To ensure that delivery plans are agreed in advance of activity.
- Compliance: Assist with carrying out regular inspections to examination venues across Nigeria, monitoring security processes against standards set by the examination board and QCA. Good record-keeping is essential of all visits made. To conduct spot checks where necessary.
- To assist the IELTS Administrator with response to and implementation of recommendations from exam boards, partners and QCA reviewers.
IELTS Business Development:
- Marketing: To ensure that quantitative and qualitative information about IELTS in Nigeria is regularly collected.
- Planning for IELTS Growth in Nigeria: Assisting the IELTS Administrator on the IELTS section of the MAP and planning targets (and capacity) for future years.
- To prepare IELTS income reconciliations to agreed timescales.
- To ensure income is recorded correctly on the FABS system and in a timely manner.
- To ensure that FABS processes are followed by the Lagos IELTS team.
- Manage the inventory held for IELTS.
- To contribute to Nigeria Exams team objectives by attending and contributing to staff meetings.
- To deputise for the IELTS Administrator.
- To Line manage up to 6 members of exams staff in Lagos.
- To assist with recruitment, training and monitoring for venue staff.
- To ensure training of venue staff is appropriate and takes into account feedback from partners and quality checks.
- To carry out periodic performance monitoring of venue staff and retain documentation for these.
- To assist with managing examiners and clerical markers attached to the Abuja office to PSN and IELTS standards.
Continuing Professional Development:
- To ensure that elective and mandatory training is undertaken.
- To identify training needs for team, and assist in delivering this training.
- Internal: Country Exams Manager, Deputy Country Exams Manager, Regional Exams Managers, Head of Operations (Exams), BSS team, teachers of English.
- External: IELTS partners, IELTS Examiner Trainer, IELTS Examiners, school principals and exam coordinators, school associations. BCSN, regional IELTS team.