- Supervising a number of Officers responsible for the assessment of small companies, individual business concerns, partnerships, estates and trust.
- Conducting enquiries into the affairs of small companies
- Following up such cases as are in dispute through the appeal procedures.
- Conducting on the job training for tax Officers;
- Examining Tax returns and raising additional assessment where necessary
- Ensuring uniform application of Tax Laws, Tax Regulations and Information circulars
- Manage and supervise existing core-tax functions within the business, identifying areas with unregistered taxpayers and least compliance.
- The successful candidate should be highly organized, numerate and possess strong interpersonal skills to represent the team externally and internally.
- The individual should ideally have commercial-business knowledge with ability to interpret business numbers and strategies of profit derivation in tax accounting.
- The position requires someone who is a self-starter and requires little supervision or motivation to meet challenging targets and deadlines. Current membership of a relevant professional institution is essential
Minimum Qualifications/Skills Base
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Accounting, Law, Economics, Banking & Finance, Engineering, Geology, Statistics, Computer Science or other relevant discipline in the quantitative field
- Or Higher National Diploma in Accounting, Economics, Banking & Finance, Engineering, Geology, Statistics, Computer Science or other relevant discipline in the quantitative field
- Computer literacy and conversancy with Microsoft office, Web Applications and the use of relevant applications for efficient delivery of service
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong team spirit and ability to effectively delegate
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong Analytical skills
- Knowledge of the Nigerian Tax Laws and appreciation of their application and understanding of the regulatory framework within which the FIRS operates;
- Knowledge of business/industry environment within which taxpayers operate
- Ability to work as a regulator with the courage to ensure full compliance with laws
Additional/Minimum Qualification and Experience:
- Minimum six (6) years relevant experience in a Government, international organization or private firm in a similar role.
Membership in any of the following Accountancy bodies or their recognized equivalents with prove of certificate(s) obtained by exam:
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN)
- Association of Certificate and Corporate Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountants (CIPFA)
- Institute of Cost and Management Accountants (ICMA) U.K
- Society of Incorporated Accountants and Auditors (SIAA)
- Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN)
- Institute of Chartered Accountant of England /Wales (ACA)
- Chartered Public Accountants, CPA
- A successful track record of consistent personal achievement for at least six (6) years, two (2) of which must be a practical hands-on experience at a supervisory level, and be relevant in the management and supervision of business accounting strategies in taxation in large scale public/private sector organization
Demonstrated experience with the following:
- Conversant with Nigerian Tax principles, laws and applications
- Prioritization of task and identification of needed resources to conceptualize ideas into actionable steps.
- Professional skill/courage in enforcement of tax laws application
- Analyzing large/medium/micro & small scale business accounts
- Virtualizing possible gaps in business transactions
- Interpretation of business accounts
- Good knowledge of taxation principles and laws
- Experience in applications of tax laws and enforcement of tax laws
- Proven track record of delivering set targets
- People Management and development
Minimum Character Attribute:
- Be of good character and must not have been found guilty of any criminal offence or should not have been indicted at or dismissed from their places of work or other environment
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
Minimum Past Performance level:
- Demonstrated ability to determine conformity and non- conformity to set standards in processes and procedures AND demonstrated courage and ability to eliminate, rectify or close determined non-conformity to standard character attributes
- Demonstrated courage in ensuring change within the organization he or she has worked through the effective discharge of his or her responsibility in spite of resistance to change efforts
- Demonstrable impactful presence in the work place as a direct result of the individual’s ability to effect positive and sustainable change in his/her environment
Method of Application
Applicants are expected to fill their applications online. Application forms can be found on the career page at the FIRS Website.The FIRS Application Portal will be available with effect from Monday, 29th August, 2016.
- Candidate should follow the instructions to fill in your application.
- Only applications in respect of the position would be considered.
- All individuals are expected to apply to only ONE position.
- Multiple applications by one Candidate for more than one job will be disqualified.
- Upon submission, applicants will receive an acknowledgement containing a reference number which must be quoted in all future correspondences.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.