Assistant Research Officer - Salary - N160,000.00 gross per month
The position is Abuja based with frequent travel. The contract duration is for one year with possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The start date is March 2014 with a probation period of 3 months.
The Assistant Research Officer will assist the Head of Research & Learning, working closely with senior members of the team and other senior staff members, in the effective, timely and efficient coordination and implementation of research for BBC Media Action’s projects in Nigeria.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in the effective design, co-ordination and delivery of research for all mass media campaigns across a range of thematic areas in which BBC Media Action works, comprising of formative research, process research ( pre-testing of outputs) and impact evaluation;
• Assist in facilitating and monitoring all research and outreach activities (e.g. focus group sessions, quantitative studies, listening groups etc.), working to budget and deadline requirements;
• Assist in the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, interpretation and communication of learnings from primary and secondary research work, to relevant / key Project and Management team, to aid strategic thinking and decision making;
• Undertake the supervision and ensuring quality control of research work;
• Assist in the design of research sampling, discussion guides, questionnaire design and design of presentation charts;
• Undertake administrative duties to include minutes and documentation of discussions from team meetings, ensuring the availability of stationeries for team use, acquisition of incentives for research purposes as may be required
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
CORE TECHNICAL COMPETENCES
• Basic Knowledge of / skills in qualitative research (interviewing, moderating, observation, ability to listen attentively etc).
• Basic Knowledge of / skills in quantitative research (questionnaire design and administration, data coding etc).
• Ability to work closely with a production team in applying research findings to media outputs.
• Enthusiasm to learn about communication strategies, development issues and public health issues.
• Basic knowledge of / skill in writing reports and briefing documents.
• Basic IT skills, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Ability to speak and write Hausa language is required.
Analytical Thinking; Strategic Thinking; Imaginative/Creative Thinking; Decision Making; Planning and Organization; Managing relationships and team working; Resilience; Influencing and Persuading; Communication; and Self Development.