A career at RusselSmith offers you growth and a chance to make a difference. Throughout our history, we have continued to help our employees realize their dreams, whilst creating opportunities for them to fulfill their personal and professional potential.
• Reviews processes and records to see that accountants are operating in line with generally accepted accounting principles, laws, industry and company standards;
• Reviews and appraises the soundness, effectiveness, and proper application of accounting and financial controls, compliance procedures, controls and timeliness of documentation generation;
• Assesses compliance with financial regulations and controls by executing audit program steps; testing general ledger, account balances, balance sheets, income statements, and related financial statements; examining and analyzing records, reports, operating practices, and documentation;
• Evaluate company internal controls and provide recommendations to improve risk management, control, and governance processes to assist the Company in accomplishing objectives for business efficiency, cost reduction and protection of shareholder interests;
• Assesses risks and internal controls by identifying areas of non-compliance; evaluating manual and automated financial processes; identifying process weaknesses and inefficiencies and operational issues;
• Work under established guidelines and controls, including Standards of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), Generally Accepted Audit Standards (GAAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Financial Accounting Standards Boards (FASB), Sarbanes-Oxley and other local and national government regulations, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), Audit Policies and Procedures and Code of Business Ethics;
• Checking that financial reports and records are accurate and reliable;
• Plans financial audits by understanding organization objectives, structure, policies, processes, internal controls, and external regulations; identifying risk areas; preparing audit scope and objectives; preparing audit programs;
• Verifies assets and liabilities by comparing and analyzing items and collateral to documentation;
• Communicates audit progress and findings by providing information in status meetings; highlighting unresolved issues; reviewing working papers; preparing final audit reports;
• Improves protection by recommending changes in management monitoring, assessment, and motivational practices, in the internal control structure, and in operating processes; identifying root causes;
• Supports external auditors by coordinating information requirements;
• Provides financial control information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends;
• Protects organization's reputation by keeping information confidential;
• Analyze business processes and data in order to identify risks, assess their significance, recognize fraud and state a conclusion;
• Conduct regular audit and reconciliation of company’s fixed assets
• Conduct regular audit of procurement activities in line with company procedure and best practices; Report identified non conformance and recommend controls to management;
• Document audit work in accordance with company, department and Institute of Internal Auditors standards to support audit findings and recommendations;
• Compiles, issues and communicates reports from audit findings detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for improvements;
• Recommends employee training and modifications to procedures as needed. Serves as liaison for all external audit and regulatory agencies;
• Perform internal audits and special projects by providing independent, objective assurance, education to other departments and to promote an effective control environment;
• Collaborate with audit team to identify and assess the risk areas to be reviewed;
• Liaising with managerial staff and presenting findings and recommendations;
• Assist in monitoring pertinent policies, laws, and regulatory requirements to ensure compliance with external regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley, IFRS, GAAP, SEC, FIRS and other financial statutory compliances applicable to the company;
• Ensuring procedures, policies, legislation and regulations are correctly followed and complied with;
• Attending meetings with auditees to develop an understanding of business processes;
• Travelling to different sites to meet relevant staff and obtain documents and information;
• Researching and assessing how well risk management processes are working and recording the results using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Providing ad hoc advice and guidance to managers and staff at all levels, sometimes by delivering courses and training sessions;
• Performing risk assessments on key business activities and using this information to guide what to cover in audits;
• Anticipating emerging issues through research and interviews and deciding how best to deal with them;
• Preparing reports to highlight issues and problems and distributing the reports to the relevant people;
• Assessing how well the business is complying to rules and regulations and informing management whether any issues need addressing;
• Participate in special assignments as deemed necessary by executive leadership
• Managing a variety of stakeholders and their expectations through regular communications.
• Audit, Financial Skills, Financial Diagnosis, Analyzing Information , Research Skills, Reporting Research Results, Project Management, Attention to Detail, Objectivity
• Strong knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) standards; Standards of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), Generally Accepted Audit Standards (GAAS), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Audit risk assessment techniques and fraud detection techniques.
• At least 5 years of related experience.
• Strong quantitative skills such as statistics and data analysis.
• Good reasoning, communication and organizational skills
• Experience in working within fast-paced, complex, dynamic, multi-tasking, multi-cultural business environment to meet deadlines
• Work with a wide range of sensitive and confidential issues
• Exhibits initiative, responsibility and able to adapt quickly.
• Ability to maintain flexible attitude and approach towards assignments and successfully operate under guidelines.
• Must possess working knowledge of regulatory bodies relating to payroll, taxes and general business financial obligations and conditions.
• Must possess strong knowledge of financial systems and relevant accounting/financial tools is required.
• Advanced and strategic thinking skills
• Strong initiative & leadership skills
• Strong quantitative skills such as statistics and data analysis
• Must have Integrity
• Good reasoning and relational skills
• Strong PC skills with knowledge of Microsoft Suite particularly with spreadsheets and other quantitative modeling
• Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
• Must be able to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct productive meetings.
• Leadership and Delegation Skills with the ability to inspire and motivate others to perform well while accepting feedback from others.
• Management skills in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
• Improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, customers, management, co-workers and other stakeholders, both individually and in front of a group is crucial.
• A relevant university degree (Accounting or Finance preferred) Professional certification in Internal Auditing, ICAN, ACCA will be an added advantage
Physical demands of the job
Ability to communicate orally with vendors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group is important.
Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential.
Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing, vision and speaking within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required.
Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability is important.
Able to review, understand and utilize accounting reports and legal documents to conduct business.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting.
Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer monitor and/or calculator.