Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Clinical biochemists are responsible for testing patient samples and interpreting the results for medical staff. They work as part of a hospital medical team that is responsible for investigating and diagnosing patient illnesses.
Most of their time is spent in the laboratory analysing specimens of blood, tissues or urine using computer-aided and automated testing procedures. Other responsibilities include:
- designing experiments to test theories about how chemicals function in the body
- investigating abnormal biochemical conditions
- analysing chemicals in the body, using techniques such as gel electrophoresis and amino acid assay
- working closely with other scientists including chemists, pharmacologists and toxicologists
- keeping up to date with scientific literature connected with their work
- writing reports of findings
- applying for funding
- presenting findings at biochemistry meetings
Some evening and on-call work will be necessary. Part-time work is an option.
Interested candidates must have a minimum of Hnd/Bsc. in Bio-Chemistry from a reputable higher institution.