Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that develops in each student an awareness of the role of science in economic and social progress; that motivates each
student to acquire knowledge of scientific facts and principles, and skills in scientific methods of problem solving; and that discovers and develops special talents of students in scientific fields.
1. Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in biology to students, utilizing curriculum designated by Newport News Public Schools.
2. Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with course / standards; provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
3. Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of Newport News Public Schools.
4. Plans a science program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes laboratory activities for optimal learning.
5. Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of scientific apparatus, experiments, and standard or prepared charts, sketches, and other instructional aids.
6. Provides individual or small group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously.
7. Instructs students in the proper use, care and safe hand ling of chemicals, science equipment, and plant and animal life.
8. Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
9. Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment and tools.
10. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions, laboratory sessions and field trips.
11. Evaluates each student’s growth in knowledge and skills in the course being taught.
12. Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
13. Supervises students in assigned out of classroom activities during the working day.
14. Administers testing in accordance with division testing practices.
1. Minimum of NCE, Bachelor Degree in Education (B.Ed.) or a BA/BSc with a teaching experience.
2.OND, HND with a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or OND, HND with teaching