• Support the CRO, Africa in developing and driving the Risk strategy to actively support SCB in the attainment of its business goals in Africa.
• Provide support in ensuring that risks are properly assessed, that risk/return decisions are made transparently on the basis of this proper assessment, and are controlled in accordance with the Bank’s standards and its Risk Appetite.
• Support & manage selected strategic projects and initiatives on behalf of the CRO, Africa
• Provide planning, coordination and management support to the CRO, Africa
• Provide relevant MIS to enable the achievement of business aspirations
Strategy / Planning
• Develop and track the Risk strategic plans in Africa, in line with the Group’s Risk Strategic Intent and Risk Management Framework
• Design, develop and implement initiatives, in consultation with CCROs of the various countries in Africa, which will help Risk in Africa become the “World’s best risk function”
• Develop, review and recommend risk policies and procedures to enable the countries to deliver their business strategy.
• Take an active role in identifying issues, structuring work plans, designing and conducting research & analyses to help implement change
• Regularly review risk processes to continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of risk management processes
• Ensure alignment of strategy of the Risk function with business strategy and risk appetite and oversee its execution
• Track and ensure country-specific regulatory reporting requirements are met across Africa.
• Prepare performance management reviews/presentations as and when required
• Assist with planning and performance of key risk management processes.
• Ensure appropriate tracking / follow up mechanism in place to track progress against strategic priorities
•Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees and to Group and Business-level committees as appropriate
KEY RELATIONSHIPS (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL)
Regional & Country CEOs
Regional & Country Business Heads
Regional Heads of Control functions
Group Internal Audit
Group Risk functions
Regional heads of risk functions
Economic and Industry Associations in main countries
CROs in other financial institutions
• Good university degree
Some prior risk experience in the areas of CB Risk, WB Risk, Market Risk, GSAM or Operational Risk
•Excellent (above average) computer skills – especially Excel and PowerPoint
•Self starter, ambitious, dedicated and results orientated.
•Excellent communication skills, professional and flexible.
•Ability to conduct research, prepare presentation materials and good analytical skills.
•Innovative, pragmatic, commercial and customer focused.
•Strong consulting and problem solving skills to respond effectively to business objectives.
•Warm personality and ability to multi-task.
•Ability to deal with different cultures
•Being abreast with the latest Economic and Political developments is essential.
•The ability to be able to identify imminent issues at an early stage and recommend appropriate strategy
•Ability to analyze large amounts of data and draw conclusions is important