The Business Process Leadership (BPL) group within Product Development Operations (PDG) Functional Excellence provides expertise in business process management principles as well as providing leadership to non-molecule projects and clinical operations processes.
The role of the Business Process Manager (BPM) is to support BPL’s strategic directives by ensuring the development and management of business processes that enable compliance and quality standards across PDG. BPMs consistently apply best-in-class, core methodologies to lead and drive global process improvement projects to support the ongoing evaluation and management of PDG business processes.
- Provides business process management expertise
- Stays abreast of internal and external developments, trends, and other dynamics relevant to the work of PDG to maintain, at all times, a fully current view and perspective of internal/external influences and/or implications for assigned processes, projects, and/or other recurring and ad hoc responsibilities
- Proactively reviews internal process metrics, industry trends and research related to program, project and business process practices.
- Expected to communicate issues, concerns, and recommendations to global PDG leadership in a timely and targeted manner to support effective, expeditious, and efficient decision-making
- Collaborates with business process owners, global PDG leaders, and subject matter experts, in identifying and recommending process improvement opportunities
- Expected to consistently apply sound, best-practice process management methodologies and use standardized tools, templates, and other resources to approach and complete his/her work
- Participates in and leads efforts to implement ongoing process improvement projects (e.g. process mapping, documentation, metrics, monitoring process control techniques)
- Serve as business process advocates
- Plans and facilitates process workshops
- Develops new, updated, or otherwise enhanced process improvements, and/or supports manager or other team members on large-scale or highly complex process initiatives or other projects/work assignments as needed
- Establishes and ensures alignment between business strategy needs and objectives with process improvement projects
- Conducts process assessments and other needs analysis to proactively identify, plan for, and secure the required resources necessary to design, deliver and maintain effective, efficient, sustainable and scalable new, updated or otherwise enhanced process projects
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders (subject matter experts across PD and potentially other Roche group) to share PDG processes, ensure alignment, and address gaps.
- Collaborates with other FE teams, global PDG leadership, and others to plan for and develop training, communications, and other change management related activities to support education and implementation of new, updated, or otherwise enhanced processes
- Performs, as required, root cause analysis of business processes to determine potential opportunities for improvement as well as elimination of waste
- Provides expertise to PDG in the determination of key performance indicators (KPIs) for business processes, and strategies on obtaining and analyzing these KPIs
- Ensure process documentation is created and distributed for use by impacted end users
- May also participate in identifying, negotiating, contracting with, and managing external partners supporting the work of Business Process Leadership
- Expected to share best practices within the department and cross-functionally, identify and communicate ongoing opportunities for continuous improvement, process and operational excellence
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors Degree required
- Advanced Degree in related field is preferred
- Previous experience working in a process management environment is strongly preferred
- Experience facilitating cross-functional group planning and decision-making
- Advanced project management and process improvement skills. Sound knowledge of and past experience working with operational excellence methodologies and tools, such as value stream mapping, business process redesign, Six Sigma, LEAN, modeling and simulation, cycle time reduction, etc.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Fluent English and other language skills as needed
- Has impeccable ethics. Demonstrates, or has proven abilities to demonstrate, Roche Values & Leadership Competencies
- Outstanding attention-to-detail
- Good business acumen; has working knowledge of the multidisciplinary functions involved in a company’s drug development process, e.g. clinical development, regulatory, etc.
- Excellent time management & organizational skills: can prioritize multiple tasks and goals and ensure the timely, on-target and within-budget accomplishment of such good interpersonal, communication and influencing skills; can influence without authority
- Good business presentation skills; is comfortable and effective when presenting to others, internally or externally
- Good negotiation skills: knows how to complete deliverables by working effectively with others internally and externally
- Good judgment and decision-making skills; knows how to make trade-off decisions while balancing ethics and efficacy
- Works well within teams and is effective in collaborating with others internally and externally
- Ability to travel (20%)