Jumia is the leading e-commerce player in Africa. Founded in 2012 in Nigeria, Jumia's mission is to revolutionize the concept of shopping by providing customers with the best online shopping experience.
Jumia Group, a leading global incubator of startups specialised in e-commerce. Jumia Group is Africa's leading internet firm, with already over 3,000 employees in over 20 African countries and huge successes such asJumia, Jumia Market, Jumia Travel, Jumia Food, Jumia Deals, Jumia House, Jumia Jobs, Jumia Car, Jumia Services It is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents.
Africa is one of the fastest growing economies in the world, offering excellent opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment. Its economic growth has enabled innovative businesses to flourish and this is where Africa Internet Group steps in.
We are currently looking for talented people to join our team and embark on an exciting journey in the core of business development and entrepreneurship.
The Category Manager will be responsible for delivering a world-class customer experience thanks to the right assortment, a perfect online ergonomics, the best prices and the most innovative marketing campaigns. There are 2 types of products fashion and General Merchandising (Books, High Tech…). As a category manager you will be responsible for either fashion or GM.
Taking the lead on the category strategic orientation, the category manager will have to bring an exceptional growth for the sales volume, the margin and the conversion rate. He will be responsible for the decisions he makes and will have to monitor his performance.
Your position as Category Manager entails:
• Delivering a strategy for future growth by building the most pertinent assortment of products, asking the buyer teams to follow up on your instructions
• Increasing the gross margin by being responsible for Jumia’s price position and asking the buyer teams to renegotiate the costs on strategic brands, categories and products
• Meeting the main suppliers
• Building a very friendly user interface, working closely with the shop management teams (marketing) – It includes the creation of banners, new filters, enhancing the category tree, selecting the products you want to see at the top of the page, etc.
• Establishing plans that will be presented to the top management on the strategic decision you make (which price point do we target for this category, which marketing strategy I want to implement, which products do I want to source, what will be the upcoming best sellers).
• Managing all the replenishment and inventory tools for stock monitoring
• Creating campaigns and deciding through which marketing channel you will push them
• As a whole, you have to identify and to promote the best sellers that will lead the market and strengthen Jumia’s position as the leader of online retail
A successful candidate will fulfil the following requirements:
Expected personal skills
• Action oriented and results oriented
• Strong analytical skill
• Strong inter-personal skills: Convince the people and your team that you are making the right decisions
• Fast learner
• Well organized
• Resistant to stress
• Very independent with a strong ability to go further than the expectations
Expected background and technical skills
• Top European Business Schools and Universities
• A previous experience in management consulting, venture capital, company creation or category management (retail) would be appreciated
• Proficiency in MS Office and Excel (VBA would be plus)
• Ability to analyse large data sets to make strategic decisions
As a whole, we expect someone passionate, creative and able to work efficiently. The category manager is the CEO of his category and is playing a key role within the company, interacting with roughly all the departments and the top management. We expect a leader.
• A unique experience in an international, entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
• An unparalleled personal and professional improvement as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures
• The opportunity to be part of a team full of talented people with the best backgrounds.