- Check raw ingredients for maturity or stability for processing and finished products for safety, quality, and nutritional value.
- Develop food standards and production specifications, safety and sanitary regulations, and waste management and water supply specifications.
- Develop new or improved ways of preserving, processing, packaging, storing, and delivering foods, using knowledge of chemistry, microbiology, and other sciences.
- Evaluate food processing and storage operations and assist in the development of quality assurance programs for such operations.
- Inspect food-processing areas to ensure compliance with government regulations and standards for sanitation, safety, quality, and waste management standards.
- Study methods to improve aspects of foods, such as chemical composition, flavor, color, texture, nutritional value, and convenience.
- Test new products for flavor, texture, color, nutritional content, and adherence to government and industry standards.
- Documentation of reports.
- Confer with process engineers, plant operators, flavor experts, and packaging and marketing specialists to resolve problems in product development.
- Study the structure and composition of food or the changes foods undergo in storage and processing.
- Testing and Calibration of equipment.
- Stay up-to-date on new regulations and current events regarding food science by reviewing scientific literature.
Qualification and Requirements
- B.Sc, HND in Food Chemistry or Microbiology with minimum of 5 years’ work experience in a food processing industry.
- Knowledge of a range of sciences and their applications to food
- Good business, IT, analytical and numerical abilities
- Being a confident independent worker
- Meticulous attention to detail, particularly with regard to health, safety and hygiene
- Candidates must have worked in a food processing industry.