Reporting to the Technical Director, the post holder will be accountable for ensuring that ship design delivery bids and projects are managed and closely controlled through effective cost, time, quality and resource management, in order to deliver the technical output that meets the shipyard’s needs for commencing detail design. The role will extend into the detail design phase to cover shipyard liaison and resolution of design queries from the shipbuilder into the shipbuild phase.
- Identify technical risks, issues and opportunities and resolve these in a timely manner
- Working with the Head of Bidding, Project Manager, the project team and the Technical leads to monitor and control schedule and cost forecasts
- Implementing and monitoring of project metrics against the plan and proposing and agreeing corrective actions to maintain schedule and cost
- Technical progress reporting (Internal Project Reviews, Progress Reports, Progress Review Meetings)
- Liaising with Technical Leads and the Project Manager for future resource needs through analysis of workload at project level
- Support the Head of Bidding, Project Manager and Technical Leads in the generation of proposals and cost estimates for change requests and contract variations
- To assist in developing business for the company as a whole;
- To represent the Company in discussions and negotiations with customers and suppliers
- To provide the necessary professional technical authority to allow the Company and the Department to conduct its business;
- First degree with Honours in engineering discipline preferably with marine content;
- Membership of major UK Engineering Institution and Chartered Engineer;
- Extensive relevant experience including shipyard/interface experience
- Actively sought by others for knowledge and expertise;
- Experienced in representing the company in large/complex/high profile projects.
- Develop wholeship designs in a team environment;
- Produce and deliver coherent ship designs to shipyards
- Develop business;
- Lead and manage a team.
- Clear understanding of shipyard needs for design input to undertake detailed design and ability to deliver the same effectively
- A good understanding of cost management, including methods for monitoring, controlling and estimating project costs
- Good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Good interpersonal, reporting and presentation skills;
- The ability to successfully manage competing stakeholder requirements
- Ability to communicate at all levels in an organisation (the company and clients);
- Ability to scope and present customer’s needs;
- Ability to write effective statements of work.