Job Number: 496020
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- Under the general guidance of the Representative, and in collaboration with the Deputy Representative, Chief of Operations, and Chief of Social Policy - be responsible for supporting and facilitating coordination between Chiefs of Field Offices and senior management and section chiefs in Abuja, including, when necessary, representation of the CFOs meetings in Abuja.
- This post will also be responsible for supporting the Representative in positioning UNICEF work with Donors in Country, including working with the Lagos Partnership with the Private Sector Specialist.
Summary of Key Functions/Accountabilities
- Responsible for ensuring that communication between Field Offices and Abuja is continuous and high quality – flagging issues, highlighting new data, sharing decisions, and participating in Abuja and Field Office key meetings to collect / disseminate information. This would also include representing concerns from Field Offices to Abuja programme and operations sections on issues related to fund release, procurement, coordination of field office staff in Nigeria CO-approved calendar of events to avoid overlaps etc. Provided quarterly assessment of performance of Field Offices using the KPI and other programmatic indicators. (20%)
- Convene systematic and touring consultations with Abuja and the Field Offices to assist and inform decision making by senior management in Abuja and the Field Offices to assist and inform decision making by senior management in Abuja and the Field offices. This should include regular visits and reviews to ensure that "the voice of the field" is well represented at the Abuja level, and that guidelines and programme / operations direction and observations from Abuja inform Field level programme implementation and operations. This will included supporting field offices in developing and implementing a robust advocacy strategy/campaign with State Government which will contribute to increase investment for children. (20%)
- Support link of outcomes and outputs between Field Offices and Abuja. Ensure feedback and strengthen coordination with Field Offices on the quality and timeliness inputs requested from Programme staff. Ensure effective collection and input of information and organize consultations at appropriate points in the decision-making process, including pre-CMT meetings of CFO's, regional-level consultations of CFO and participation in Joint Support Missions. (10%)
- In consultation with the Representative, and in collaboration with the Deputy Representative and section chiefs, oversight of management practices at field level and facilitate the development of State Operational Plans, ensuring that plans are aligned with national annual workplan (AWP/RWP), are within the overall strategic direction of the country Programme and that there is a Nigeria CO common approach to UN coherence at the state level guided by the UNCT and UNDA. (10%)
- In collaboration with the Representative and based on the State Profile and other instruments keep Donor available in Country up-to-date with the situation of children and position UNICEF as a partner of choice with donors. (20%)
- In close coordination with the Deputy Representative identify good Programme interventions that can be documented and package for advocacy with the Private Sector. (10%)
- As the first reporting officer, is responsible for completion of the PAS/EPAS for the CFOs and acts in collaboration with the Deputy Representative and Chief of Social Policy, including career conversation with staff under his responsibility. AS NCO as adopted a Matrix Management Reporting for Specialist in the Field ensure this clearly understood and applied by CFO. (10%)
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in Management, Social Sciences or other related fields in one of the programmatic areas e.g. Health, WASH, Education, Nutrition, Child Protection, HIV/AIDS, or Social Inclusion is required.
- Or A first level (Bachelor's) University Degree in related fields with 12 years professional experience may be acceptable in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 10 years professional development experience that combines technical and managerial leadership in development cooperation at the international level, some of which served in developing countries, is required.
- Relevant professional experience, particularly in a large country office of comparable size and management structure is an asset.
- Oral and written proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.