- As a true business partner to the CEO and divisional presidents, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Engage the board finance, audit, and investment committees around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company National Nonprofit’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers sponsorships, potential acquisitions, and collaborations with external organizations.
2. Executive Management
- Serve as a member of executive leadership team
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution
3. Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by division (vs. budget); Weekly cash flow forecast.
- Complete analysis of financial results; Develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., opening new operations, asset acquisition, new service launches).
- Develop and maintain capital budget.
- Assist in development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports.
- Participate in calls with Lenders.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
5. Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
6. Accounting and Administration
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise company nonprofit’s finance staff.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and company nonprofit’s board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
7. Team Management
- Mentor and develop a direct team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Guide larger, cross-divisional teams outside of direct span of control within the company.
8. Accounting Activities
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues
- Develop and manage accounting staff
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits
9. Cash Management
- Oversee weekly cash management; Approve weekly payables; Execute check signing
- Oversee AR management and provide support to collections activities
10. Corporate Development
- Represent company in efforts with investment bankers and potential investors
- Prepare various analyses and reports required by corporate development efforts
- A minimum of a BS; a CPA and/or MBA would be a plus.
- At least five years experience as CFO or equivalent,
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the Office of Management and Budget Circular A133 audit.
- Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.