- Manage generation of financial statements according to local accounting standards
- Manage timely reporting to relevant local authorities (central bank, tax office, etc.)
- Manage timely reporting to F/I and hub
- Analyze financial data and develop financial analysis as a key management tool with the aim of optimizing FINCA Nigeria’s activities: identify risks, inefficiencies, negative tendencies, and propose measures that reduce risks, improving efficiency, and reverse negative tendencies
- Create/modify procedures such that they are low-risk and efficient
- Ensure compliance of FINCA Nigeria with financial covenants in agreements with creditors and donors
- Create cash flow forecasts
- Ensure availability of sufficient resources for lending in the required currency
- Manage all financial transactions with creditors, banks, donors
- Manage the planning and budgeting process of FINCA Nigeria
- Act as the coordinator and main contact person with external auditors
- Keep all Management Team/Board members informed about relevant issues/developments in FINCA Nigeria's finance activities and department
- Participate/vote in decision-making (with Management Team/Board Members) on relevant “Finance” and “Non-Finance” issues
- Manages relationships with all Lenders, both local and external, in concert with the CMG Team in HQ.
- Manage the ALCO Process as the principal representative of the local subsidiary.
- Supervise all finance staff of FINCA Nigeria. For finance staff located in branches, the CFO retains the “professional responsibility”, whereas the “administrative responsibility” is transferred to the branch manager
- Responsible for hiring/evaluating all finance staff (for branch employees: professional responsibility only; administrative responsibility is with branch manager), and their dismissal, if necessary
- Assess the training requirements for the Finance Department as a whole and for its individual employees, and develop a capacity building plan for the Department and its individual employees
- Preparation of staff to assume management positions
- Conduct performance evaluations of the staff reporting to him/her and verify that the supervisory personnel also perform evaluations of their staff in a timely manner according to established procedures
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Extensive experience in best-practice financial management of a company, desirably a financial institution.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and training skills.
- Strong business management and negotiating skills.
- Excellent technical report writing skills and computer literacy.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Good understanding of IT issues and the role and possibilities of IT in financial management.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Management or Marketing (or equivalent work experience)
- CPA, or Chartered Accountancy qualification (desirable)
- Banking experience, or experience working in a regulated financial instution (required)
- Experience working in Nigeria (required)
Fluency in English
Create/develop appropriate reports: financial ratios; liquidity report; currency gap report; various credit reports; breakdown by branches/regions; breakdown by products; plan-fact comparison; historic development; other as required/appropriate
Ensure compliance of FINCA Nigeria's finance activities with the Charter/bylaws of the subsidiary; FINCA and subsidiary policies, procedures, plans and agreements; decisions of subsidiary governing bodies as well as headquarter and regional office supervisor(s); maintain good coordination with regional office, headquarters, and governing bodies
Present relevant “Finance” issues to the Management Team/Board for information, discussion, decision making
- Subsidiary Chief Executive Officer
- Subsidiary Chief Operations Officer
- Global Chief Financial Officer
- Subsidiary finance team
- Availability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
- Ability to travel in economy class when traveling by air or rail.