Duties & Responsibilities
The Chief Mate Assists The Master In All Vessel Command And Has Whatever Authority The Master Delegates Upon Him / Her
- Assist the Master and learn all aspects of ships command with a view to eventual promotion.
- Act as the ship’s Safety Officer.
- Allocate and ensure that all duties appertaining to deck department are carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible for ensuring that all mooring, anchor handling and towing equipment are regularly maintained and in operational order.
- Responsible for loading, stowing and discharging of all deck cargoes and cleaning of bulk tanks; In charge of the deck ratings and their duties.
- Assist physically on deck during special operations such as anchor handling and towing.
- Responsible for the training of deck cadets and deck crew.
- Is in charge of the vessel’s chart corrections. Can delegate the task to a junior Officer but remains nevertheless responsible of the corrections.
- Supervise mooring and unmooring of vessel in port and at offshore locations.