The Chief Risk Officer will have overall responsibility for the development and implementation of a detailed business risk management framework, both operational and those relating to the individual transactions of Africa50. This includes developing the processes and recommending the risk appetite statements and limits, and then ensuring the organization remains within these limits. The Chief Risk Officer will also work with other members of the Senior Management Team in developing and implementing the strategies for Africa50. This position will report to the Africa50 Chief Executive Officer and the Board.
Africa50 seeks to appoint the Chief Risk Officer to undertake, but not limited to, the following activities:
- Develop risk assessment and monitoring policies and procedures for both the operations of Africa50 and for the transactions, including sourcing information, setting and monitoring of limits, to ensure that all existing and emerging risks are appropriately identified, monitored and managed, and that any breaches are appropriately recorded and managed;
- Provide guidance on the type and quality of management information proportionate to the nature, scale and complexity of the business, to be provided to senior management and the Board to ensure good governance;
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and statutory provisions regarding risk management, prompt reporting of risk positions and provision of advice on possible resolutions of critical issues;
- Create a culture of intelligent risk-taking, heighten awareness and use of advanced risk management practices through educational programs, training processes and personal mentoring with senior executives, business unit management and general staff;
- Overseeing the activities of the risk function in transaction approval, including requiring additional risk mitigation where appropriate;
- Manages internal audit function to ensure that policies and procedures are appropriate and followed, and to carry out investigations and recommend changes if appropriate;
- Oversees monthly reporting to senior management, and to the Board at each Board meeting on risk matters, including compliance with relevant regulatory, legal and internal requirements;
- Ensuring that operational risk is managed effectively within his/her areas of responsibility, and that his/her teams comply with all approved operational risk controls;
- Chairing Portfolio Management and Risk and Compliance Committees;
- Provides technical support and training to Africa50 on risk-related issues;
- Drives continuous improvement of risk management practices, commensurate with its size, complexity and geographic focus. Proactively monitors current and emerging regulatory and risk issues and changes impacting Africa50. Provides guidance, advice and leads implementation of initiatives to address issues;
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, assists the CEO in the management and development of Africa50 to ensure a smoothly functioning, efficient organization.
Applicants must have:
- Comprehensive risk management and regulatory knowledge and experience as a banker or regulator in key risks facing financial services companies including on credit, interest rate, liquidity, mergers/acquisitions, compliance , legal and operational risks.
- Knowledge and experience of internal audit matters in financial institutions.
- Knowledge current trends and developments, and experience in theories of risk matters and infrastructure development and finance in Africa.
- Skills to foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Ability to recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, governments, and employees.
- People management skills to supervise staff, including regular progress reviews and plans for development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.