The Chief Underwriting Officer will be expected to improve the underwriting performance of the organization. You will do so by designing, executing, and monitoring the underwriting goals of the organization as defined in its strategic document. You will also serve as a member of executive management with direct responsibility for all technical/underwriting operations of the company (Underwriting - Life and Non-Life, Claims, Reinsurance, Actuarial)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish and promote underwriting best practices, with focus on underwriting profitability
- Responsible for the Life & Non-Life underwriting units of the company
- Responsible for the retail processing and actuarial units of the company
- Responsible for planning and directing all underwriting procedures.
- Directs the various underwriting function of the organization including Individual Life, Group Life, Non-Life and Health
- Develops long-term underwriting strategies and directions for the company, and sets specific goals and policies for underwriting operations.
- Determines product mix and target markets for the company. Drives marketing and distribution strategies for the company
- Products development, pricing and profitability analysis
- Responsible for the actuarial valuation of both the Life and Non-Life books of the business Succession Planning
- Coaching, Mentoring and Facilitation of Training Programmes
- Other roles as may be assigned by the organization
- A good first degree any social science disciplines or/and MBA
- Minimum of 12 (twelve) years’ experience
- Hands on experience in managing business operations
- Comprehensive experience in creating business development procedures, service standards, operational policies and guidelines
- Proficiency in managing insurance operations
- Insurance operations and financial accounting knowledge
- Deep knowledge of insurance underwriting (Life & Non-Life)
- Good actuarial knowledge
- Product development
- Financial accounting of both Life and Non-Life business.