Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
To carry out the professional duties of a teacher as circumstances may require and in accordance with the school's policies under the direction of the Headteacher.
To be an effective professional who demonstrates thorough curriculum knowledge, can teach and assess effectively, take responsibility for professional development and has students who achieve well.
Planning, Teaching and Class Management
Teach allocated students by planning their teaching to achieve progression of learning through:
- identifying clear teaching objectives and specifying how they will be taught and assessed;
- setting tasks which challenge students and ensure high levels of interest;
- setting appropriate and demanding expectations;
- setting clear targets, building on prior attainment;
- be aware of and make provision for students who are AEN/SEN, very able, LAC or who have other particular individual needs;
- providing clear structures for lessons maintaining pace, motivation and challenge;
- making effective use of assessment and ensure coverage of programmes of study;
- ensuring effective teaching and best use of available time;
- maintaining discipline in accordance with the school's procedures and encouraging good practice with regard to punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and homework;
- using a variety of teaching methods to:
i. match approach to content, structure information, present a set of key ideas and use appropriate vocabulary
ii. use effective questioning, listen carefully to students, give attention to errors and misconceptions
iii. select appropriate learning resources and develop study skills through library, ICT and other sources;
- ensuring students acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to the subject taught;
- evaluating own teaching critically to improve effectiveness;
- ensuring the effective and efficient deployment of classroom support;
- liaise with the Subject Leader to ensure the implementation of department policy and best practice.
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting
- assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of teaching;
- mark and monitor students' work and set targets for progress;
- assess and record students' progress systematically and keep records to check work is understood and completed, monitor strengths and weaknesses, inform planning and recognise the level at which the student is achieving;
- undertake assessment of students as requested by examination bodies, departmental and school procedures;
- prepare and present informative reports to parents;
- undertake assessment of students and participate in the school’s system reporting to parents.
- Have lead responsibility for a subject or aspect of the school's work and develop plans which identify clear targets and success criteria for its development and / or maintenance;
Other Professional Requirements
- have a working knowledge of teachers' professional duties and legal liabilities;
- operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the school;
- know subject(s) or specialism(s) to enable effective teaching;
- take account of wider curriculum developments;
- establish effective working relationships and set a good example through their presentation and personal and professional conduct;
- endeavour to give every child the opportunity to reach their potential and meet high expectations;
- contribute positively and effectively to the Every Child Matters agenda;
- co-operate with other staff to ensure a sharing and effective usage of resources to the benefit of the school, department and students;
- contribute to the corporate life of the school through effective participation in meetings and management systems necessary to coordinate the management of the school;
- take part in marketing and liaison activities such as Open Evenings, Parents Evenings, Review days and events with partner schools;
Interested applicants should have a minimum of HND. Other qualifications will be an added advantage.