Recruitment Notice: N° 006/12/2015/ALCO/SE/UPM
Location: Cotonou (Benin)
Contract duration: Two (02) years, renewable
Job Start Date: February 1, 2016
Supervision: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Background and Justification
The Abidjan-Lagos Corridor Organization (ALCO) is sub regional intergovernmental organization which was established in 2002 with the mission of reducing HIV impact on interregional trade in West Africa. In fact, in view of the increase of migrations on main roads and fostering economic growth, the Heads of States of member countries namely the Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin and Nigeria put in place this organization to facilitate road transit and transport as well as the development and implementation of a sub regional HIV/AIDS response.
During its first ten (10) years of service provision, ALCO largely contributed to the improvement of border posts environment and hospital infrastructures from Abidjan to Lagos, STIS and AIDS treatment, as well as the reduction of travelers’ transit time.
Within the framework of the New Funding Mechanism, the Global Fund (GF)grant allocated to ALCO took new directions. This grant focuses on a gradual transition of HIV prevention services to national programs and a reposition of interventions toward strengthening community system as well as the defense of human rights. The grant covers the period from 2016 to2018.
Aware of the challenges in the framework of the implementation of this grant, ALCO undertook actions in order to efficiently manage the resources which will be made available in the framework of this funding. To this effect, ALCO is recruiting an Community Mobilization and Human Rights Officer who will be based at ALCO’s headquarters in Cotonou/Benin.
Description of Duties
- Under the direct supervision of the Program Officer,the Community Mobilization and Human Rights Officer will ensure the implementation of community mobilization and human rights activities in the framework of Global Fund new funding mechanism.
In terms of Policies and strategy development:
- Contribute to the definition of community programs and the formulation of the strategy for the implementation of community-based activities in ALCO’s member countries;
- Define procedures for community-based activities:
- The road map describing the organization of community-based activities;
- The criteria for the selection and implementation of community actors (PE, community network, NGOS);
- Evaluation system for advisors and community actors;
- Design training modules and communication materials for behavioral change;
- Definition and adaptation of communication and education approaches (IEC/CBC);
- Design data collection tools in collaboration with other members of ALCO team, particularly the Monitoring Evaluation office;
- Facilitate the assessment of the legal and social environment in the context of HIV within ALCO member countries;
- Identify obstacles to the implementation of HIV/AIDS prevention interventions for the benefit of key populations;
- Contribute to the definition of a community based regional program for human rights and gender in the context of HIV;
- Support the development of a regional strategy for advocacy in view of minimizing or even removing legal obstacles in the framework of key populations access to health care;
- Support the development and definition of a regional program for human rights and the fight against gender based violence (GBV),especially in terms of freedom of movement of goods and persons;
In terms of implementation:
- Coordinate the implementation of community-based activities in the framework of Global Fund new funding mechanism;
- Support NGOS/Associations in the development and implementation of IEC /CBC community based activities and the promotion of ALCO’s activities within the community;
- Support NGOS/Associations in the development and definition of an action plan for the implementation of activities at the regional level;
- Collect, compile and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual activities reports in view of drawing conclusion;
- Support the design and updating of monitoring and evaluation plan for ALCO indicators;
- Coordinate human rights and gender activities in favor of key populations(SW , MSM) in the framework of the new funding mechanism;
- Design data collection tools in collaboration with other members of ALCO team for human rights and gender component.
- Support NGOS/Associations to record cases of human rights as well as GBV and to make official complaint if necessary;
- Supporting NGOS/Associations of key populations in the development of their action plan in view of the implementation of human rights and gender activities in the context of HIV.