Essential duties and responsibilities includes but not limited to the following:
• organising, preparing agendas for and taking minutes of board meetings and annual general meetings (AGMs);
• maintaining statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries;
• dealing with correspondence, collating information and writing reports, ensuring decisions made are communicated to the relevant company stakeholders;
• contributing to meeting discussions as and when required, and advising members of the legal, governance, accounting and tax implications of proposed policies;
• monitoring changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and taking appropriate action;
• liaising with external regulators and advisers, such as lawyers and auditors;
• developing and overseeing the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes, in addition to its legal and statutory requirements.
• Implementing effective and efficient procedural/administrative system.
• Filling of various documents/returns as required under the provisions of the Companies Law.
• To make arrangement for the payment of the dividend within prescribed period as provided under the provisions of the Companies Law.
• To advise, in conjunctions with the company’s solicitors, the chief executive or other executive, in respect of the legal matters, as required.
• To prepare, approve, sign and seal agreements leases, legal forms, and other official documents on the company’s behalf, when authorized by the board of the directors or the executive responsible.
• Proper maintenance of books and registers of the company as required under the provisions of the Companies Law.
• taking responsibility for the health and safety of employees and managing matters related to insurance and property.
• Strong organisational and time management skills.
• In depth knowledge of secretarial software, Outlook, Microsoft excel and Word.
• Excellent technical knowledge of Nigerian Companies and allied matters Acts.
• Excellent presentation, interpersonal & communications skills - both written & oral.
• A Legal Practitioner with at least 5 years of experience as a company secretary
• A member of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators will be an added advantage.
• Maturity gained through exposure to the commercial world and a range of experiences provides a well-rounded background
• Must Manage affairs in a well-organized, methodical and orderly manner so that records are neat & tidy, issues are dealt with promptly/timely, and matters are not overlooked
• The right candidate must be able to relate well with directors and executives; to understand/ anticipate their needs and requirements
• Must have good record-keeping skills, including maintenance of statutory registers, to ensuring that legal & regulatory requirements are complied with in a timely fashion
• Need effective time-management skills.
• Set up a timetable of events to ensure nothing overlooked