SDN requires Compliance Officer within the operation division of the Niger Delta Legacy Engagement funded by the State Department Conflict Stabilization Operation. The Engagement which is awarded to SDN is currently to cover funding period till 31st December 2014, with operational extension possible to 31st March 2015.
The Position reports to the Assistant Programme Manager (Operations) directly, will deliver Quality Assurance within the team headed overall by Programme Manager with overall responsibility for performance. Position will contribute towards the engagement goal that the people of the Niger Delta emerges from the 2015 election period without destabilizing violence and with increased confidence in the power of non-violent problem solving among the citizens, government and other key actors
Overall Engagement Objective- includes
- Reduce the likelihood of Conflict
- Improve the Social Contact in 3 States of the Niger Delta (Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta)
- Produce a Multimedia Campaign supported by dialogue and civic advocacy
- Develop capacity and effective non- violence with outreach to communities and Government.
- Develop and Sustain the Board of Advisors into an operating Board of Directors in a independent Company
The position holder will carry out independent appraisals of the effectiveness of policies, procedures and standards by which ND Legacy’s Engagement Operations are implemented ensuring the quality and integrity to agreed standards as well as processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, adequacy of internal controls, and reliability of quality, compliance with applicable laws and the safeguard of assets within ND Legacy’s Engagement policy framework.
- Plan, perform and report back on internal audits to ensure that financial control, financial guidelines of donor organizations and other control procedures are in place and are being properly implemented and managed within ND Legacy’s Engagement offices.
- Responsibility for facilitating the establishment of Quality Standards for the Engagement.
- Advise and monitor quality standards and value for money and make recommendations for improvement.
- Test internal controls, target in particular high risk areas; document any weaknesses and their impact, and make recommendations to address these weaknesses.
- Follow up on the implementation of audit recommendations and management action plans. Ensuring learning, improvements on agreed standards.
- Where necessary, carry out investigations of alleged fraud, mismanagement, loss of assets or any other investigation.
- For each assignment, prepare a written report to present findings and conclusions to Programme Manager and broader SDN Management.
- Prepare routine monthly financial and labor related reports as agreed with APM and distribute to Senior Management, technical and financial staff.
- Respond to management queries in relation to ND Legacy’s Engagement internal control environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Quality processes and standards, (theory and practice)
- Knowledge of local and donor contractual requirements and regulations
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices.
- Understand theory and practice of continuous improvement
- Be able to work within a team as well as exercise oversight independence
- Budget development skills with multi funding sources and general ledger skills.
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software and database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems.
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow.
- Routine coordination with ND Legacy employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building among several organization teams and units and professional organizations.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain confidentiality for sensitive issues or projects and use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and precision; resourceful in gathering, verifying and analyzing financial data.
- Strong understanding of risk management and internal control issues.
- Good communication and report writing skills.
- Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
- Time management skills, both in planning and organizing work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial and internal control issues to staff with little or no financial background.
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration its recognized equivalents
- 3 – 5 years relevant experience of Quality systems operation and implementation.
- MS/MA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalents (advantage)
- 1-3 years experience in internal control functions.
- Familiarity with U.S. Government grants or other client funded programs, contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year funds is required.
- CPA, ACA, ICAN, CIMA, CFE or any other relevant professional qualification is an advantage.
- Training in Total Quality Management, Balance Scorecard EFQM or any ISO quality standards.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be invited to join the next stage of the assessment process
Salary: Attractive and commensurate with experience.