Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Computer operator operates and supports the central college computer systems and related peripheral equipment including the host computers that run the college's administrative applications, in addition to the other operational tools, software and computer devices. Areas of responsibility include computer operations, report distribution and tape library. Analyzes and resolves hardware/software problems. Provides direct operational services and assistance to users on multiple campuses and at the contracted colleges.
- Prepares daily production schedule and handles user requests. Manages computer resources efficiently to provide maximum throughput and adequate system response.
- Communicates regularly regarding scheduling of computer time. Helps resolve computer related issues, routing user questions to other areas as appropriate.
- Analyzes and resolves hardware/software/problems such as operational discrepancies, job aborts, and network issues. Refers problems to appropriate person when operators' best efforts cannot resolve. May occasionally develop software tools to enhance efficiency.
- Operates the computer efficiently to ensure production, packaging and delivery of regular, and special reports. Includes operation of performance consoles, printers, tape drives and disk drives. Additionally, operates other peripheral devices. Also provides operational support for the wide area and local area networks.
- Maintains operations database (i.e., jobs, scheduling, inventory, tape library, auto scheduler, etc.). Corrects and documents operational problems and discrepancies, including program changes and procedural changes as directed by supervisor or Programmer Analyst. Communicates changes in operating procedures and techniques to all operations personnel.
- Monitors supplies and equipment necessary to ensure continuous operations. Contacts vendors to research new products and pricing and coordinates delivery and installation of software, hardware, and network components. Maintains the proper inventory level of computer supplies. This includes updating inventory control sheets, ordering supplies and getting emergency supplies from the storeroom.
- Helps with the hiring and training of student and casual employees.
- Receives calls from vendors; responds as appropriate and/or refers to supervisor or other area as needed.
- Ensures adherence to college policies and requirements relating to access to and security of the computer operations area. Receives requests from people who want to enter restricted areas and allows access as appropriate. This includes responsibility for maintaining log files from the access control system.
- Maintains a variety of documentation, including operations procedures, tape libraries, and error logs.
- Ensures maintenance of equipment and workspace. Performs required cleaning/vacuuming of equipment and preventive maintenance procedures. In general, ensures that the environment and equipment are clean and secure.
- Performs daily, weekly and emergency backup procedures and ensures their accuracy. Performs file application and system recovery when needed. Responsible for maintaining and upgrading the backup and recovery application and its associated database. Develops and maintains all backup and recovery tools and scripts.
- Keeps technology skills up-to-date. This includes training on new equipment and software, learning new or modified procedures and reading technical manuals.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining air conditioning, water alarm, fire alarm, and power protection systems (UPS) in the computer operations area.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Interested applicants should have a minimum of OND, DIPLOMA. Other qualifications will be an added advantage.