Main purpose of job:
To provide consular assistance to the many British nationals who live in and visit Nigeria
Roles and responsibilities:
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Process Emergency Travel Documents for British nationals.
- Consular Assistance to British nationals and eligible persons (Hospitalisation, Deaths, Financial Assistance, Prisoners, Child Abduction & Other Assistance work)
- Provide frontline reception to all consular visitors
- Dealing with general enquiries by phone/letters/e-mails
- Maintain files of consular casework and information
- Establish and build relationships with key contacts to facilitate excellent networking.
- Maintain a daily record of all visitors given assistance to help with year end statistics
- Provide administrative support to Vice-Consul and Consul/CROM
- Filing and registry duties
Key competences required:
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering a quality service
- Delivering at a pace
- Collaborating and Partnering
Good command of English both written and spoken
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- Previous experience of working in a consular section.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy (compile accurate information in both written and electronic formats).
- Have excellent customer relations and be able to listen to and support British and EU nationals with sympathy and sensitivity.
- A tolerance for aggressive customers, challenging consular casework (death, hospitalisation, child abduction).
- Be respectful of the personal nature of the job and take care to protect sensitive information and adhere to strict data protection policies.
- Ability to work well in a small team, working independently while taking a proactive approach to the role (particularly under pressure)
- Good understanding of Microsoft Packages (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer)
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Nigeria with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The British High Commission in Lagos is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Nigerian employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.