- Provide leadership and inspiration in the undertaking of quality research and analyses in Africa’s economic development, with emphasis on value addition.
- The Director is expected to raise the Bank’s capacity to pose crucial issues in Africa’s development and to devise solutions through the production of flagship reports and working papers dedicated to these issues.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to staff in EDRE and those in other complexes undertaking economic and sector.
- Manage human and financial resources to ensure that the Department’s core activities are not constrained.
- The Director will be expected to establish effective collaboration with other Bank units, international agencies as well as with bilateral donors in seeking solutions to Africa’s development.
- A minimum of a PhD degree or its equivalent in Economics with any of the following concentrations: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Development Economics, Econometrics, Labor Economics and Industrial Organization. Demonstrated knowledge of political economy issues will be an advantage;
- Preferably a minimum of ten (10) years of extensive work experience, five(5) of which are at a managerial level, in development economics research, including evidence of peer-reviewed analytical work, and a solid knowledge of economic theory, including on development;
- Demonstrated capacity to organize workshops and seminars at the domestic and international levels, and to effectively disseminate results;
- Evidence of ability to build and lead motivated and committed multi-cultural teams across functional boundaries and to utilize talent and expertise of team members to advance the work of the Department and the Bank.
- Ability to partner with a broad range of internal and external, particularly African Universities and thinktanks, clients in the generation of new research knowledge and analyses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and/or French. A good working knowledge of the other language is an added advantage
- Be conversant with the Bank’s software, i.e., Word, Excel, SAP, MS Project and PowerPoint