The Director General will manage the television channel and its strategic direction, lead all production, oversee community outreach, and develop partnerships for EA-Nigeria (EAN) and the AREWA24 channel. S/he will ensure that AREWA24 is delivering quality content to audiences across northern Nigeria and the Hausa-speaking sub-region and will liaise with potential business partners and sponsors to help drive the channel’s commercialization strategy.
During the first 6-8 months, the new Director General will work closely with the existing Director General to ensure maximum capacity building and a smooth leadership transition. He/she will also work closely with AREWA24’s President.
· Provide strategic leadership and oversight of the AREWA24 program
· Help develop and implement a strategy for research and analysis related to the AREWA24 channel and its target audiences; apply that analysis to program and broadcast strategies.
· Support quality project planning, implementation, and M&E in a manner consistent with Equal Access’ working principles, ensuring the AREWA24 program is managed and implemented in a timely and high-quality manner, according to pre-established workplans, and basing program decisions on reliable and accurate data.
· Ensure that all production deliverables are submitted on time in a suitable format and in-line with EA’s strict quality standards.
· Analyze the commercial market in Nigeria and work with the AREWA24 President to adapt the channel’s commercialization strategy.
· Build staff capacity in producing, editing, and finalizing high-quality television content.
· Identify and document best practices and lessons learned that can be successfully replicated and assist program staff to integrate into their work.
· Identify, develop and manage new commission-based revenue streams from corporate sponsorships, advertising, and other sources.
· Liaise with the Nigerian public authorities about possible sources of income relating to the broadcasting of public service announcements or related to other relevant approaches.
· Work to engage with bi- and multi-lateral donors (UN, USG, and others) and like-minded corporations to develop programming for the channel.
· Explore the feasibility of developing potential equity partnerships with like-minded corporations and entities to further the channel’s growth and sustainability
· Support staff to ensure timely quality reporting to donors, partners and HQ and compliance with grant terms.
· Represent EAN and AREWA24.
· Lead security and incident related decision making and response.
· Ensure good staff management standards promoting discipline, efficiency and harmonious working environment.
· Promote transparent decision-making through open communication and regular meetings