Directorate or Region: SSA
Pay Band: 8
Reports to: Director Programmes
Duration of job: Fixed term of two years
Purpose of Job
This is a new post that will:
- Lead on the delivery of high profile research in support of British Council Nigeria’s country strategy, programme delivery and external role and profile.
- Support delivery of high impact programmes through strengthening internal monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Lead our strategy for supporting the capacity and growth of Nigeria’s early career researchers and increase access to and appreciation for Nigerian research in the international development and education research communities
- Deliver market research for business growth
- Secure research funding
- Represent the British Council externally, positioning the British Council as a thought leader in our three strategic business areas (SBUs); Arts, English, Education and Society.
Accountabilities, Responsibilities and Main Duties
- Strategy Development and Implementation.
- Lead the development and delivery of the Nigeria Research strategy working with the wider Nigeria Programmes, Exams and English business streams and the regional SBU teams.
- Ensure that a robust business plan with agreed targets is developed that reflects the strategic focus for Research.
- Ensure that operational delivery capability in the Research team is fit-for-purpose and able to respond flexibly to changes in the portfolio.
- Actively contribute to the corporate Research agenda by working closely in partnership with the regional and UK SBU teams and leaders.
Programme/Project Governance and Compliance:
- Ensure all activities are delivered in compliance with ethical standards and governance;
- Ensure all research is conducted to the highest standards of integrity
- Maintain a strong culture of risk management, both of the business and of the security of partners, staff and customers in all areas.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with key partners e.g. Ministries of Education; NUC; MacArthur Foundation; universities, SUBEBs, Institute of Education UCL, research networks and development organisations and NGOs to support the delivery of business objectives
- Act as Research Director for all on-going research and action research projects across the SBUs including
- MacArthur co-funded Gender in Teacher Education Research project
- MacArthur co-funded Fast Forward skills action research project
- Hornby partnership English language research project
- Open University evaluation of the Learn English Audio in Nigeria action research project
- Nigeria component of SSA Regional International Higher Education research
- Northern Nigeria Girls Education and Advocacy Research network
- Researcher Links initiative for Nigeria