- Analyse and determine the appropriateness of disbursement requests and the supporting documentation for compliance with African Development Bank policies and procedures, provisions of legal agreement and other related documents.
- Process disbursement applications and update data as necessary in the Disbursement Management System.
- Respond to questions regarding payments and disbursement procedures.
- Draft clear and concise correspondence on disbursement-related issues.
- Liaise with concerned Bank’s departments and external stakeholders to resolve disbursement issues promptly.
- Monitor borrowers’ utilization of special account funds, ensuring that the funds are properly accounted for and used in accordance with Bank rules and procedures.
- Participate in disbursement supervision missions with particular emphasis on application preparation and use of special accounts and statements of expenditures.
- Contribute to improving efficiency of disbursement operations by ensuring that records and reports are properly maintained and updated at all times.
- Participate in technical discussions and loan negotiations to ensure that disbursement arrangements are compliant with Bank Group disbursement policies.
- Participate in the review of project documents such as Project Concept Notes, Appraisal Reports, Country Strategy Papers, Project Completion Reports and provide input to supervisors.
Capacity Building/Client Support
- Participate in training of operational Bank staff and borrowers.
- Participate in the design of materials for disbursement seminars.
- Respond to questions regarding disbursement procedures.
- Coach and mentor new Disbursement Assistants on disbursement procedures.
- Perform client support activities associated with the payment process.
- Participate in departmental/divisional task forces.
- Identify issues relating to disbursement policies, procedures and guidelines and recommend appropriate actions or enhancements.
- Identify and recommend changes to disbursement systems, policies and procedures to promote timeliness, accuracy and efficiency in processing while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
- Participate in new systems development and user testing.
- Undertake ad-hoc assignments at the discretion of the Disbursement Officer and/or Division Manager.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- At least six (6)years of direct relevant experience in accounting.
- Good understanding of basic general accounting concepts and principles, and their application.
- Analytical skills, with strong numerical ability, and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English (essential) and/or French (essential). A working knowledge of Portuguese would be an advantage.
- Fully proficient in MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point). Working knowledge of SAP will be an advantage.