To assist in the project engineering and construction supervisory aspects related to the various Addax civil engineering projects. The job is primarily focussed on site civil construction works, although the incumbent may be required to assist in initiating and supervising small civil design jobs to be carried out by civil engineering consultants. The incumbent may also be required to assist in the preparation of tender board submissions, tender documents and contract documents.
1.Participate in the definition of the optimum scope of work for the individual projects, so as to achieve the best value-for-money whilst still satisfying the essential requirements of the APENL client department.
2.Assist with any required design for the works, either by self or consultant resources, working in co-operation with the APENL client department to ensure their technical requirements and functionality are adequately addressed. Assist with the supervision of any consultant design work, verifying adequacy of drawings and specifications.
3.Ensure that the appropriate standards and specifications are employed for design, materials’ selection and construction, so as to deliver fit-for-purpose permanent works, which satisfy the requirements for safety, accessibility, operability and reliability/maintainability.
4.Prepare sound tender documents for the work to be tendered; draft bidders’ list proposals for line manager and APENL Tender Board endorsement.
5.For work tendered, evaluate received bids, therein ensuring competency of the contractor proposed for contract award (ability to timely execute the work, to the required standard, and with recognition of HSE and security/community relations issues); draft contract award recommendation for line manager and APENL Tender Board.
6.On Tender Board endorsement of a contract award recommendation, ensure prompt compilation of a sound contract document to ensure that no work commences without a signed contract being in place.
7.As site construction engineer, have responsibility for construction work execution, with special emphasis on quality assurance of the construction works, and on Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) issues and security/community relations.
8.Monitor the progress of contracted work so that the schedule and milestones are met, providing reporting on same to line management, as well as providing early warning of potential slippage; in the case of the latter, propose remedial actions so that the “required for use or occupancy” dates for the works are not jeopardised.
9.Ensure the proper close out of projects, including the production of as built dossiers (construction records, etc.) and as built drawings.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS/PERFORMANCE GOALS
Zero lost time incidents.
Completion of assigned projects on schedule, within budget and according to specifications.
Budgetary responsibility rests with line manager. The value of the works for which the incumbent is day to day responsible may be in the region of $250,000 - $2 million per annum.
An honours degree in civil engineering.
Registration with COREN is an advantage but not a requirement.
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIREMENTS
1. Experience in earth works and reinforced concrete design.
2. Experience in borehole and structural steelwork design.
3. Experience in assembling professional tender documents for civil design or construction work.
4. Experience in site construction activities - excavation, filling and compaction, reinforced concrete placement, building and masonry works, road works and flood water control, structural steelwork erection and water borehole drilling, potable water generation and reticulation.
5. General contract execution management experience.
6. Fluent written and spoken English, and must be fully computer literate in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project.
7. Strong interpersonal skills are essential, for dealing with a broad spectrum of cultural and organisational styles, as well as being able to fit in as a team player.
8. Full mobility, so as to maintain the necessary influence at the various locations where activities related to the works will be carried out.
9. Knowledge of the locality where the construction works will be executed will be a major advantage
10.Ability to work within a team and generate an enthusiastic and fair spirit of cooperation with contractors, team members and company personnel.