Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The main duties will include:
- Assessing visa applications in a fair, objective and courteous manner.
- Making quick and pragmatic decisions to issue and refuse visas in accordance with the Immigration Rules, and within agreed time-scales.
- Dealing with correspondence and other enquiries from applicants, sponsors and members of the public. Preparing well-presented and accurate replies, written in plain English, within target times.
- Preparing written statements and paperwork related to the appeals process, and making sure that they are also well presented and accurate.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience.
Previous experience as an Entry Clearance Officer
Essential qualifications and experience:
- We are looking for a candidate who meets the criteria listed below with good oral and written communication skills. In particular, the successful candidate should be able to work quickly and accurately, often under pressure, have a positive approach to tackling problems and a willingness to take on new tasks.
- Previous experience of working within a visa section or other office environment is strongly preferred, and good keyboard skills and familiarity with computers and software packages (notably MS Word, Excel and straightforward databases) are essential for the role.
- Good communication with excellent spoken and written English.
- Computer literacy with accurate typing skills of at least 25 words per minute.
- The ability to remain customer focused, polite and courteous under pressure.
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with little supervision to meet challenging targets.
- The capability of making quick decisions, in accordance with set rules and the ability to show that these decisions are fair and just.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent team players - this is an all for one, and one for all environment.
- Flexibility and a positive attitude to working in a forward thinking, modern and motivated department, which is working at the forefront of visa work. We are committed to improving standards and procedures - and we are looking for like-minded employees.
- To effectively represent the Visa Section, the British High Commission, and the UK Government as a whole.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Starting monthly salary
N 493, 126
- The candidate must be a British passport holder who already has or is able to obtain UK Security Clearance, or another national who has recently lived at least five consecutive years in the UK and may be eligible to obtain UK Security Clearance.
- The candidate must also provide evidence that they have permission to work for the British High Commission in Nigeria (i.e. that they are a Nigerian passport holder; or hold a Nigerian work permit that allows them to work for a diplomatic mission). Any applicant who does not provide evidence of this will be sifted out at the first stage.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nigeria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Country.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.