Reporting to the Manager, Project Development & Planning the successful candidate will ensure that the project is implemented in compliance with environmental and social federal and state laws. This will also include ensuring compliance with environmental and social safeguard policies.
- Establish, support and supervise the implementation of environmental and social safeguard processes, based on, but not limited to, the findings of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF); Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs); Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs); Abbreviated Resettlement Action Plans (ARAPS) and Resettlement Action Plan (ARAPs) and Resettlement Action Plan (RAPs) studies.
- Ensure water and sanitation facilities audits are undertaken as required and monitor compliance with water and waste effluent quality standards
- Assess the implementation of the safeguard measures and the capacity of the institutions and agencies responsible for social safeguards, as they relate to the project
- Liaise with the National Environmental Management Agency (NEMA) and other federal and state government officials and other relevant parties on environment management issues
- Advice on and communicate environmental issues, regulatory requirements and other relevant issues to technical staff, regulatory authorities, public interest groups and the public
- A master’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Development Economics, Social Sciences or related discipline
- A minimum of 5years experience as an Environmental , Social or Urban Development Specialist in similar projects, with at least 2years experience as a Safeguard Specialist, with technical knowledge in both environmental and social safeguards processes and compliance
- Knowledge of social, environmental and cultural issues affecting the implementation of urban development projects in Nigeria. Experience with AfDB or WB policies and requirements will be an advantage
- Proven experience in providing guidance on negotiation and conflict resolution processes