Purpose of job
- To support Examination Services in Nigeria in delivering Schools exams and to maintain them at the highest professional standards as set out in the British Council's EQS (Examination Quality Standards), examinations boards and partners standard.
Context and Environment
(e.g. dept description, region description, organogram)
- Nigeria, a tier 1 country, has the largest project, programme and exams operations in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). We operate from 4 main office locations. Individually, the Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt Exams offices alone are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd largest exams businesses by income in SSA respectively. There are currently 36 members in the exams team, 3 of whom are in the Port Harcourt office. We operate a hub-and-spoke system in Nigeria with the main support functions (Business Support Services (BSS) and customer services) located in Lagos.
- The Exams business in Nigeria has grown significantly in recent years. In 2013/14 we delivered 65,000 examinations, this financial year the target is 78,000 exams on a turnover of £7.5m, and by 2016 we expect to double on 2013 figures to 120,000 exams. We have shown initial successes with a cross-SBU project on school quality in Nigeria, and we are developing a second cross-SBU project on skills and employability.
- We have a number of challenges namely: team capacity, security risks and infrastructure restraints which we are addressing through organizational change, capacity increases and technological solutions. The Global New Operating Model for Exams and Global Financial Change projects are critical to our business plans.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
(including people management and finance)
- As Exams Officer the post holder will be line managed by the Centre Manager of Lagos.
- This role will support delivery of all examinations administered from the Lagos office.
- All administrative procedures are in full compliance with examination board regulations and EQS standards.
- Reliability: to ensure examinations are delivered securely according to board requirements
- Quality: to deliver a high standard of customer service to our schools and their candidates. As measured by our own Exams Quality Standards and the inspection visits from Examination Boards.
- Finance: all British Council standards for managing finances are met with relation to income reconciliations, cash handling, managing POs, managing contracts and procurement.
Administration of examinations (pre-test):
- Overseeing the taking delivery of examinations materials and checking them prior to exams commencing, packing and returning scripts, maintaining logs appropriately.
- Answering enquiries about exams.
- Exam registration procedures including receiving and collating registration forms, entering and retrieving data on exam board registration portals, payments and exams correspondence including dispatch of results.
- Assist with recruitment and management of venue staff (invigilators, examiners and inspectors).
- Assist with evaluation of new associate schools, agents and other educational institutions.
- Assist with searching for and evaluation new venues.
Delivering examinations on test days as part of the exams team which includes:
- Supervision of venue staff
- Ensuring adherence test day procedures.
- Delivering speaking tests.
- Overseeing practical examinations.