Reports To: Country Director, Nigeria
This is a senior management team role, reporting directly to the Country Director, responsible for delivering our broadcast media outputs in Nigeria.
The Executive Editor will use her/his extensive experience of management, programme production and editorial expertise to oversee all radio, television, digital and mobile output.
The post holder will ensure systems are in place to support all aspects of production, supporting every stage of project design from inception to post-production, and ensuring timely delivery to partner stations.
Building the capacity of national staff members within the team will be a large part of this job, as is building collaboration that stretches across departments to deliver the most creative outputs possible.
She/he must help ensure that innovation and creativity lie at the heart of all our broadcast media while ensuring continuity and consistency across a range of multiplatform outputs.
Developing and monitoring our long term vision for our outputs that puts them at the heart of our projects is a key responsibility, to keep us current in a rapidly evolving media market.
1. To take overall responsibility for ensuring the delivery of all broadcast outputs of BBC Media Action Nigeria, ensuring editorial integrity, quality and timeliness of all outputs. Specifically, to raise and maintain editorial and technical quality across all programme content – radio, television, digital and mobile.
2. Working with the Senior Projects Manager, ensure all production teams understand the goals of each of our projects, in order that output is aligned with project objectives.
3. Creatively shape the concept development and planning for all new productions and the effective recruitment of staff and freelancers when necessary.
4. Help shape and enforce a coherent social media strategy across all production programmes to maximise the audience and connect with our audiences.
5. Build the capacity of the BBC Media Action production staff to deliver outstanding content.
6. Ensure teams fully comply with BBC Editorial guidelines and values. Work with the Country Director to manage any editorial issues that may arise.
7. Ensure that all production complies with BBC Media Action’s finance and administration guidelines, and upholds our project donor requirements on finance and administration. This will include supporting the Production teams to manage their budgets efficiently and effectively. Observe and manage BBC Production and contractual guidelines and make sure they are fully understood by other team members, contractors and consultants.
8. Along with Senior Projects Manager and Country Director, ensure that BBC Health and Safety guidelines are observed on all productions, staff are trained and briefed to manage risk in a highly challenging environment and support is provided to others to take appropriate measures to minimize exposure to perceived risks. Advise and support the Country Director and Senior Projects Manager to manage risk related to production on all the projects.
9. Provide support to national, regional and local broadcasters and production houses in order that they may take on productions in the long term or produce similar outputs where applicable.
10. Participate actively in BBC Media Action Nigeria’s country senior management team, and ensure that maximum collaboration is fostered across all departments with the results that our impact in Nigeria is realized on the ground.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- Considerable experience in managing teams delivering radio and multi platform outputs – managing delivery of a number of weekly outputs to tight time frames. Experience of setting up systems for managing production resources.
- Evidence of experience and skill in using radio and/or TV production and preferably digital and mobile media in delivering developmental issues – governance, health, resilience.
- Demonstrable creative ability, with a proven track-record in designing, developing and making programmes.
- Experience of project planning, with proven experience of successful project management against tight deadlines; Considerable production budget management experience of over £1 Million.
- Experience of designing or commissioning training and learning for production teams.
- Experience working closely with external partners, and/or building, maintaining, and influencing high level external relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal leadership and people management skills. Experience of leading and managing talent and production teams, as well as managing diverse teams.
- Knowledge of BBC editorial values, aims and objectives, and an ability to apply these to media development projects. Ability to demonstrate strong editorial judgment.
- Experience of developing written plans and reports for internal and external audiences.
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written).
- Demonstrated interest in Nigeria and in Africa.
- Experience of working in a developing country context, preferably in Africa;
- Evidence of experience in making programmes for addressing developmental issues will be an advantage;
- Understanding of the principles of behavior /social change communication;
- Experience of overseeing a multi-media production project especially using mobile technology
- Working and managing production security in a high risk context.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Managing relationships and team work – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team. Values individual's differences and demonstrates a commitment to knowledge sharing and informal learning, for the benefit of the team.
- Strategic thinking – Able to identify a vision and create plans for implementation of that vision to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, and issues in the short, medium and long-term
- Leadership – Ability to inspire others to realize an identified vision.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks for problem solving and/or development.
- Change Management – Able to understand and anticipate the need for change and to build frameworks for planning and managing the continuous process of change.
- Planning and Organization – Able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others; planning of activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.