Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Job Description for Farm manager are as follows;
- Managers determine, administer, and execute policy relating to the administration, facility maintenance, and standards of fish farm operations
- Assign to workers duties such as fertilizing and incubating spawn, feeding and transferring fish, and planting, cultivating, and harvesting.
- Tracking fish life cycles and growth rates and controlling disease.
- Direct and monitor worker activities such as treatment and rearing of fingerlings, maintenance of equipment, and harvesting of fish.
- Plan work schedules according to personnel and equipment availability, tidal levels, feeding schedules, or transfer and harvest needs.
- Observe fish and beds or ponds to detect diseases, monitor fish growth, determine quality of fish, or determine completeness of harvesting.
- Perform both supervisory and management functions such as accounting, marketing, and personnel work.
- Train workers in spawning, rearing, cultivating, and harvesting methods, and in the use of equipment.
- Record the numbers and types of fish reared, harvested, released, sold, and shipped.
- Interview and select new employees. Maintain workers' time records.
The responsibilities for the farm manager are;
- Prepare or direct the preparation of fish food, and specify medications to be added to food and water to treat fish for diseases.
- Supervise the artificial spawning of various salmon and trout species.
- Calculating the feeding regime,
- Monitoring the health of the fish and taking action to treat them when appropriate;
- Planning breeding programmes and growing schedules to obtain maximum efficiency and adhering to environmental standards;
- Applying knowledge of fish habitats and their effective time management;
- Understanding legislation and how to implement this into practical application;
- Ensuring the water supply is of a sufficient quality for the stock;
- Being aware of different water management techniques;
- Being adaptable to new technologies as they develop and learning practical skills;
- Paying close attention to detail to avoid expensive fish losses in what can be a high risk industry;
- Possessing stock skills such as fish handling, spawning, grading and harvesting;
- Updating knowledge of fish health and nutrition;
- Maintaining records of stocks.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements are;
- B.Sc. Agriculture, Aquaculture or Animal Husbandry or related engendering degree
- Minimum 1-5 years’ experience as Fish Farm Manager
- Knowledge or past experience in the use of re-circulatory systems required.
- Experience in Africa and catfish farming would be highly desirable.
Applicant is expected to exhibit the followings;
- Be a team player
- High Ethical standard
- Negotiation Skills
- Good presentation skills
- Budget Preparation
- Business Acumen
- Risk Management
- Good mental and physical ability
- Must be willing to stay on-site for most time
- Ability to lead and motive a team.
Mode of application:
Interested candidate should forward their cv's to:firstname.lastname@example.org latest 31/09/14