UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with funding from the Japanese government, is implementing a one year project titled ” Mainstreaming Gender into Humanitarian Response in Nigeria” This project is a humanitarian action component of UN Women’s current Peace and Security programme in Nigeria. It is designed to address the needs of internally displaced women and girls especially survivors of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV). It will focus on filling critical gender gaps in the on-going humanitarian response activities in three areas:
- Strengthen emergency assistance initiatives to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) women/girls and survivors of SGBV in target areas;
- Improve the economic capacity and social rehabilitation of women affected by crisis for peaceful cohabitation in target areas;
- Strengthen humanitarian coordination mechanisms for a more comprehensive and gender-responsive approach in Nigeria.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the supervisor, the Project Coordinator exercises overall responsibility for planning and implementing UN Women interventions under the project. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women Programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Implementation and delivery:
- Ensures donor deliverables are met in a timely manner;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the project environment, timely readjustment of project interventions;
- Reviews donor documents and ensures work plans are prepared and implemented, taking corrective actions as needed;
- Design and formulation of project initiatives within the area of responsibility, translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- Provision of project advisory support to the Office Management within the thematic area/portfolio assigned.
Management of the Project and supervision of the Project team:
- Under the guidance and oversight of the supervisor, exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, and coordination aspects of the project/s under his/her responsibility;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Manage the portfolio of on-going projects through technical monitoring and administrative and financial supervision ensuring the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on program results and indicators;
- Lead project’s appraisal and evaluation according to results-based management requirements;
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of project staff, experts and consultants working as part of the technical assistance team;
- Responsible for the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents;
- Ensure timely production and submission of all partial and/or progress reports by all members of the project team, contractors and project partners;
- Conduct field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio;
- Ensures consultants, CSOs and other partners are recruited for the implementation of the project.
Strategic partnerships building and support:
- Ensure partnerships are established with actors in the humanitarian sectors in the target states and at the national level;
- Create and coordinate partnerships with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc. especially as it affects the humanitarian efforts in northern Nigeria;
- Identifies organisations working in the humanitarian sector and ensures gender issues are addressed.
Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Helps implement the visibility component of the project by engaging the media;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Identify and synthesis best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to project country policy goals in the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Liaises with the country and regional office in sharing of information and knowledge generated from project activities.
Donor Reporting And Proposal:
- Leads the reporting process to the donors;
- Prepares donor documents in the event of a re-grant;
- Scouts for additional funding.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Knowledge and experience of working on gender, elections and democratization processes;
- Substantive knowledge of issues on gender equality and women's empowerment;
- Outstanding team-building, organizational and communication skills;
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, donors and civil society.