Africa50 seeks to appoint the General Counsel to undertake, but not limited to, the following activities:
- Manage Africa50’s strategic and legal documentation;
- Act as Company Secretary to the Board and monitor and provide opinion on corporate governance;
- Provide legal advice (and managing external legal counsel if appropriate) on commercial, financial, civil and corporate matters related to Africa50’s activities;
- Working with the CEO, to ensure that all activities and operations are performed in compliance with applicable regulations and laws governing business operations;
- Manage the Compliance function to ensure Africa50 meets international best practice in terms of compliance;
- Work with the transaction teams to ensure that Africa50’s requirements are incorporated into any documentation, and assisting in the management of any external legal resources on transactions;
- Establish processes and prepare any necessary legal reports for the Board and Shareholders and regulatory bodies;
- Provide internal training on legal, regulatory and compliance topics to ensure the business is kept current on all issues, and to enhance individual legal and fiduciary responsibilities;
- Supporting the risk function in quantification of potential legal liabilities;
- Ensuring that operational risk is managed effectively within his/her areas of responsibility, and that his/her teams comply with all approved operational risk controls;
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, assist the CEO in the management and development of Africa50 to ensure a smoothly functioning, and efficient organization.
- Ensure the Department is performing well and provide good and timely services to other Departments.
Applicants must have:
- Qualifications and practice or experience in Civil and/or Common Law.
- Admission to a bar.
- Knowledge and Experience of compliance matters in financial institutions.
- Experience of current trends, developments, and theories in finance and legal matters, and infrastructure development in Africa.
- Skills to foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Ability to recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, governments, and employees.
- People management skills to supervise staff, including regular progress reviews and plans for development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.