Our client, an equal opportunity employer, is a foremost Power and Utilities Company covering the south eastern states of Nigeria looking to transform its organization, thereby positioning herself to delivering exemplary service to customers and thus has urgent need to recruit extraordinary individuals for the following key role : General Manager, Legal and Regulatory
The successful candidate will report to the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer and oversee the Legal and Regulatory Affairs Department. This position is responsible for strategically designing legal framework that-anticipates areas of potential risks, reduces liabilities, and prevents litigation and corporate losses. She/he also ensures that the organization is in compliance with the rules and regulations of regulatory agencies and advises on acceptable behavioral conduct for all organizational stakeholders. She/he will provide legal support to the company in respect of written communications to external parties, drafting legal documentation.
Key duties of the job include:
- Working with the business teams, lead contract development and formation of new agreements with counter parties
- Handle all civil and commercial disputes
- Manage relationships with external counsel, outsourcing criminal and some litigation matters
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develop/implement preventive action plans
- Act as the chief risk officer with regard to corporate liability and employee issues
- Manage labor relations from a legal perspective, understanding relevant labor laws
- Ensure compliance of all employees with laws, regulations and corporate policies
- Lead the company’s regulatory strategy and oversee its implementation
- Maintain excellent relationships with regulators
- Lead the processes of minor and major rate case submissions and review
- Liaise and negotiating with regulatory authorities
- Provide legal interpretation to corporate communications and business transactions
- Keep abreast with changes in regulatory legislation and guidelines
- LLB and BL degree in Law or international equivalent.
- MBA is an added advantage
- 12-15 years’ relevant professional experience, with at least 10 years at managerial level
Skills and Competences:
- Experience working in a complex legal/regulatory environment.
- Excellent legal research, analytical and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work within a team environment and independently (must be self-motivated, dependable and detailed-oriented)