- The job of a Baker involves making breads, pastries, cakes and other types of baked goods.
- Provide training to staff in baking activities
- Meet the requirements of clients/customers.
- Ensure product freshness and food safety.
- Prepare and bake foods
- Prepare and make all bakery items for a large number of customers
- Inspect and ensure proper colour combination for all baked items
- Ensure proper storage of all items in refrigerators and freezers.
- Assist and support senior chef and other bakers
- Retain existing customer-base through preparation and serving of tasty items
- A successful candidate must possess baking experience.
- Incumbent may require a Degree in culinary or short courses in pie Making, Cake Decoration, Bread Baking or any similar field. Experience is generally obtained through hands-on training. Pastry chefs, on the other hand, must obtain classroom training, teaching experience and several years of baking experience in a relevant setting.
- Skills Knowledge in a wide range of ingredients, baking equipment and techniques, good planning and budgeting skills, and extensive knowledge in precautionary measures for possible health hazards. He/she must also patient, detail-oriented, creative, organized and be able to work well independently and as part of a team. Bakers must also work effectively under pressure, under conditions of high temperatures and long hours standing.
- Specific work elements Preparing ingredients for biscuits, cakes, breads, rolls, muffins, pies and other baked goods based on recipes; mixing quality ingredients to form dough and batter; using baking equipment properly; adjusting oven settings; and supervising bakery staff, among others.
Inclusive of these stated above, Its important that successful candidates for the position have the following:
- Strong Personality.
- Mature Disposition.
- Quality Leadership Skills.
- Knowledge of Retail Operations (FMCG).
- A minimum of HND/ B.Sc or its equivalent.