Coordinate the implementation of an effective framework for the operation and maintenance of the base station subsystem and provide high level support functions on all operational transmission equipment.
- Assist the Director, Network Operations in communicating the division's strategic direction and objectives to all staff.
- Plan and monitor the implementation of established internal processes using best practice standards to ensure a stable and highly available systems platform for an optimal operating environment.
- Keep abreast of global and local best practice as it relates to the team/ function's activities.
- Continuously review the unit/ team's activities, make recommendations for improvement and implement approved improvement initiatives to ensure enhanced performance of the team.
- Identify required resources, personnel and funding to achieve the unit/ function's strategy.
- Establish and maintain relationship with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage and support network access and network performance management systems and provide support on all existing and future access and transmission products.
- Oversee the integration, management and administration of access network platform infrastructure (UNIX-Solaris and application level) and related equipment.
- Liaise with the transmission operations unit to plan and coordinate the activities for extension of fibre routes to new transmission sites.
- Ensure the performance and availability of all access network systems deployed and monitor the status and performance of network elements.
- Develop and monitor a proactive maintenance cycle on all access network systems and infrastructure and ensure regular update of system documentation.
- Oversee the resolution of faults in the access network environment and provide on-site remedial support as required.
- Investigate and identify reasons for abnormal network conditions.
- Take proactive steps to prevent network faults and failures.
- Liaise with third-party vendors and initiate regular meetings to agree on service levels.
- Manage vendor performance and ensure agreed SLAs are achieved.
- Review recommendations of the internal audit function relating to BSS operations policies, standards, guidelines and operations and take action as required.
- Implement the function's work programs and plans in line with agreed upon procedures and guidelines.
- Plan and manage the human and material resources of the team/ function to optimise performance, morale and enhance productivity.
- Manage inter-functional relations to ensure synergy across inter-departmental functions.
- Monitor and control the budgetary needs of the unit/function.
- Prepare/compile agreed periodic activity and performance reports for the attention of the Director, Network Operations.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Director, Network Operations.