- The Clinical Services Department comprises a busy 42-bed ward, outpatients’ department, Gate (triage) clinic, X-ray department and is supported by routine clinical, diagnostic laboratories.
- The CSD also has an endoscopy unit and trained endoscopy nurses, providing the opportunity for a suitably qualified applicant to complete regular endoscopsy and/or bronchoscopy lists.
- There are also plans to set up a peritoneal dialysis facility together with colleagues at the University Teaching Hospital. Approximately 50,000 new patients are seen at the MRCG’s clinical facilities each year, including Gambians, nationals of countries in the sub-region.
- The out-patient department has a number of specialist clinics for children and young adults with cardiac, renal and liver disease.
- We seek to appoint a consultant paediatrician or physician to the role of Head of Clinical Services. Based at MRCG’s main site at Fajara, the post holder will lead all clinical areas, make a significant contribution to the implementation of the Unit’s research plans, and oversee clinical activities at the field sites in Keneba and Basse.
- MRCP/MRCPCH/ FWACP, or equivalent.
- Significant postgraduate experience.
- Good publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- Experience of training and supervising clinical, research and other staff.
- Experience of clinical trials
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team.
- Excellent organisational and managerial skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with key stakeholders including The Gambia Government.
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine.
- Experience of working in developing countries.
- Specialist expertise/experience in either cardiology, renal or gastroenterology/hepatology would be an advantage .
- Success at attracting research funding.
- The salary will be paid in Grade 1, 40 Points of MRC Unit The Gambia’s pay scale at a net monthly salary of 147 389 Dalasi. This converts to a net pay of $3, 509 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and that the USD figure quoted is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects.
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- The appointment is up to 31st March 2021 and extendable by mutual agreement.