- At present, BBC Media Action in Nigeria addresses issues of health and governance through a number of different outputs, including factual programming on radio and TV and a limited social media presence.
- We are looking to expand our outputs onto digital and mobile platforms while strengthening our radio and TV productions.
- To help us do so, we are looking for a dynamic and inspiring leader to play a lead role as Head of Factual in our production department.
- The position is Abuja based but may involve travelling to the focal states in Nigeria. The projected start date is June 2015 with a probation period of 3 months. Initial contract is for 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of project funding.
- Provide leadership for the factual production team in Nigeria, especially in the areas of editorial decision-making, creativity, technical quality, budgets, delivery deadlines and the overall production process.
- Actively and enthusiastically support professional development of all team members, especially in editorial
- judgement and decision-making, but also in creativity and technical skills, and create conditions that allow staff to learn, practice and develop in these areas.
- Develop systems and organise regular editorial arid team meetings to make sure that resources are being strategically allocated, scheduled, and shared between different teams and prorammes.
- Manage the factual team to coordinate and creatively influence concept development and planning for existing outputs and new production.
- Working with the Executive Editor, help identify, recruit, and retain staff and freelancers.
- Ensure factual outputs fully comply with BBC Editorial guidelines and values. Work with the Executive Editor to manage any editorial issues that may arise
- Keep fully across programme budgets and spending to ensure they comply with our project donor requirements
- Working with senior members of the project management department, ensure factual production staff understand the goals of each of our projects and produce all media outputs to align with project objectives.
- Explore collaborative opportunities with other parts of the BBC or other Nigerian media as appropriate.
- With the Executive Editor, ensure that EEC Health and Safety guidelines are observed on all factual productions, staff are trained and briefed to manage risk in a highly challenging environment, and support is provided to others to take appropriate measures to minimize exposure to perceived risks.
- Advise and support the Executive Editor to manage risk related to production on all the projects.
- Strong editorial decision-making experience and ability to uphold good journalistic practice, gained through producing your own factual programs and, ideally, overseeing the outputs of others.
- Experience of managing and co-ordinating factual production teams to deliver several different outputs simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience supporting the professional development of staff in editorial judgement and decision-making, creativity and technical skills.
- A proven track-record in designing, developing and making factual programmes for radio and/or TV.
- Proven experience using social media ass platform for delivering programs or other production output.
- Excellent interpersonal leadership and people management skills. Experience of leading and managing talent and production teams, as well as managing diverse teams.
- Production budget management experience.
- Knowledge of. or ability to learn, EEC editorial values, aims and objectives.
- Understanding of production-related technology and techniques for radio, TV or digital platforms.
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written).
- Evidence of experience and skill in using radio, TV or other media platforms to address developmental issues - for example, governance arid health.
- Understanding of the principles of behaviour/social change communication.
- Experience of overseeing a multi-media production project especially using mobile technology.
- Hausa language skills would be strong advantage.
- A degree in Journalism. Mass Communication, Communication Arts, English or the Social Sciences or any other relevant field would be art advantage.