Develop appropriate Risk Management strategies/tools and disseminate appropriate risk management practices in line with developments in business products, change in clients, markets/industry, laws and regulations
Oversee and enforce risk management policies, including Credit Manual, Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Manual and Policy, and monitor compliance with policies. Provide an independent review of proposed business plans which include risks identified to the Board Risk Committee and Executive Committee.
Manage a comprehensive AML Compliance program for the company in line with local regulations and internal policy requirements; report quarterly to Board Audit Committee on AML
Developing systems to generate a robust MIS to identify, monitor, manage and control credit, market and operational risks.
Monitor and manage the performance and development of direct reports, by being the champion of risk management and improve Management team understanding of key risk identification, assessment, monitoring and reporting and mitigation
- Internal Controls Activities
Conduct analysis of operations of the company to identify risks and violation from set policies and standards and make recommendations for preventive actions such as:
- Portfolio behavior
- Systems of red flags
- Exceptional transaction reports
- Personnel rotations, etc.
Timely examine, analyze, and report of any compliance issues which can negatively affect the company operation and image;
If fraud or negligence occurs, detect violations at an early stage, thus limiting damage to immaterial amounts;
Conduct analysis of the reasons and circumstance that lead to the fraud/negligence, provide the management recommendations on the changes needed to protect company from such incidents;
Manage evaluation of the possible risks for the proposed new procedures, set up and manage internal controls during implementation of new procedure for the new products, functions and other changes to subsidiary operations;
- Management of Methodology Function
Ensure timely update of subsidiary internal regulations, manuals, instruction memos, etc. with all changes from FINCA International and the Africa hub;
Manage evaluation process of all subsidiary manuals annually to ensure completeness, accuracy and efficiency;
Establish a system for the effective communication of all policy changes to the appropriate personnel at all levels of the subsidiary including verification of understanding;
Ensure that all changes in policy and procedures are properly communicated to subsidiary staff and that appropriate compliance training takes place;
- Manage Performance and Control of Internal Polices
Develop and implement semiannual control work plan in collaboration with Africa Regional Internal Controls Manager;
Develop and manage evaluation and reporting process for Internal Control & Risk Officers;
Manage timely control activities for the Department based on the approved work plan and requests from subsidiary management board;
Manage timely reporting to subsidiary management and regional hub;
Establish a system for timely communication of the status and findings of control activities with subsidiary management and network/regional internal control personnel
- Five years working experience in internal control, audit, or risk management, preferably in financial services industry/sector
- Experience with AML-CFT Compliance in regulated financial institution
- Three years’ experience in management/leadership role
- Policy development and implementation experience preferred
- Relevant professional qualifications in local market
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Credit or Finance or relevant certifications
- Post-graduate degree will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English
- High proficiency in use of computerized applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and Visio.
Leading with integrity - Reinforces our values through daily behavior and holds others accountable to ethical behavior
Employee engagement - Maintains a fulfilling work environment and engages staff based on their strengths. Mentors others to develop their skills and provides feedback on performance regularly.
Responsible for results - Takes responsibility for own actions and manages others to focus on key priorities.
Recruitment and staffing - Makes quality hiring decisions; Forecasts staffing needs accurately; Follows Company hiring process
Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Financial responsibility - Conserves organizational resources and works within budget guidelines.
To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies and qualities:
- Consulting and management techniques to initiate and manage strategic changes in risk management across the entire organization
- Knowledge and experience in modern Enterprise in Internal Controls & Risk Management practices in Financial Services industry to provide practicalguidance on strategic changes.
- Willingness to relocate to Owerri, Nigeria and to travel within the country (40% of the time)
- Enterprising and self-driven personality with the ability to adapt and acquire new skills
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Highly attentive to detail with excellent organizational and documentation skills
- Knowledge and effective application of all relevant banking policies, processes, procedures and guidance to consistently achieve required compliance standards or benchmarks
- Results-oriented, with the ability to motivate the team to be consistent with performance
- Strong fit to FINCA’s desired corporate culture and values, and commitment to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision. In particular, must demonstrate a commitment to transparency and integrity
- Understands the needs of a start-up, with willingness and ability to perform duties beyond the scope of work.