The Humanitarian Manager provides support to all programmatic aspects of Save the Children humanitarian responses across the whole of Save the Children's Nigeria programme and specifically to the Humanitarian Response that Save the Children Nigeria is about to start to address the IDPs crisis in the North-Eastern State of Gombe. H/She ensures humanitarian activities are effective and meet goals and objectives of Save the Children, its donors, and the needs of affected populations. Ensures the Save the Children programme is adequately prepared to respond to new emergencies and plays an appropriate role in humanitarian coordination. Ensures immediate and appropriate response to children's needs during humanitarian crises. The post holder will play a strategic role in the effective scale up and management of Save the Children humanitarian programmes to increase impact and enable positive change for children. This will include working with Directors of PDQ and Operations to secure additional resources and support through members and playing taking on an advocacy role.
Qualifications and experience
- MA / MSc level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
- Previous experience of humanitarian programme management, preparedness and response in volatile contexts
- Experience of managing multi-donor, multi-site programmes (including ECHO, DFID and OFDA)
- Security management experience across a large programme
- Experience in developing and delivering training, as well as mentoring and coaching.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Ability to access communities sin Northern Nigeria
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Fluency in written and spoken English .
- Computer literate in Microsoft word, excel etc.
- Commitment to and understanding of SCI's aims, values and principles.
- Media experience
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant sahel region/context
- Hausa speaker