Perkins Engines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is recognised as a leading manufacturer of industrial diesel engines. OEM Manufacturers and users on every continent have, for generations, trusted Perkins Engines to power their world.
The Global Information Services (GIS) Team provides IT resource supporting business processes across Caterpillar globally. The team based at Stafford provide development and support to Perkins Engines supporting, Emerging Markets, Compliance and Required Business Support related activities.
The team provides support for the MFG/Pro ERP environment, engineering and factory systems, and all other aspects of IT on site including Desktop. The team is engaged both with other enterprise GIS teams and LPSD management to provide excellence in service and support.
This position is for a Team Leader to oversee the activities of the local team (numbering 6 staff) and supporting the Shrewsbury-based supervisor in all aspects of service and staff management and development. Being the most senior GIS member on site it provides an excellent environment for the successful candidate to develop their leadership and collaboration skills and to demonstrate suitability for further promotion to IT Supervisor positions. The successful candidate will also have a key role in the delivery of the IT elements of both the transformation of the Stafford site and the new manufacturing site in Aurangabad, India.
A good knowledge of ERP, factory, engineering and productivity systems is required for this role.
This position reports to an IT Supervisor, Senior IT Supervisor. Responsibilities of the incumbents are along functional lines with individuals assigned development projects, and/or maintenance, of existing mainframe, personal computer, server, Local Area and Wide Area Network, WEB, and/or distributed computing systems and infrastructure. The incumbent works independently on maintenance of in-place programs, systems, and/or infrastructure components as well as on detailed specifications related to complex development, integration, and installation projects. They provide leadership and guidance to others in technical and application development disciplines.
- Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work;
- Acts as team leader for development and support groups; provides programming and application/technical leadership, guidance, and assistance to other team members;
- Plans, arranges and controls meetings, workshops and relations with client/user staff during system investigations and throughout subsequent development work. Takes responsibility at a high level for the proper conduct of such relations.
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls;
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems;
- Develops major system modules, programs or integrates infrastructure components based on requirements gathered from customers;
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results;
- Fully knowledgeable of current programming languages, program design and specification development, programming logic, logic diagrams, system analysis techniques, testing, debugging, documentation standards, file design, storage and internal systems and cross platform infrastructure components; can provide training on these topics for others;
- Performs implementation and integration tasks for medium to large, complex in-house developed systems and/or purchased software solutions;
- Assists customers with documentation, training and usability efforts.
- Integrates processes across functional organizations.
- Other tasks and duties as directed.
This position involves a substantial element of working with other teams, including:
• GIS matrix teams (EAME and globally), EAME site support teams and LPSD IT team
• LPSD management (Stafford, Aurangabad and globally)
• IT services suppliers such as REMARK and Allegis (contractors)
This role requires a good to strong level of:
• Requires a relevant degree, technical certification, or equivalent experience.
• The incumbent should be knowledgeable of the latest technology in programming languages; computing hardware and software; infrastructure elements, and current development processes and tools.
• Previous experience in development and support work related to systems or infrastructure would be advantageous.
Experience of working with customer / process partner requirements and a track record of proactive management of requirements are desirable.