Vacancy Notice No.: 03/16 LOS
Section: NCA (National Crime Agency)
Position Type: 6 months fixed term contract
Main Purpose of Job
- The British Deputy High Commission is looking to recruit an Intelligence Officer to work on a newly established joint unit ran by the National Crime Agency (NCA) but comprising of UK Border Force and Home Office Immigration and Enforcement (HOIE).
- This joint unit will be investigating and providing intelligence support into the investigation of Human Trafficking (HT), Drug Trafficking, Corruption and Economic Crime in Nigeria.
- The officer will work with local partners on all forms of Serious and Organised Crime (SOC) investigations providing and capturing current intelligence and ensuring all intelligence records are accurate.
- They will also conduct UK end intelligence enquiries to support Nigerian Operations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The successful candidate will undertake a variety of tasks including the analysing of ongoing and previous SOC operations to capture and record all available intelligence.
- To analyse and progress new opportunities to investigate SOC.
- The officer will be required to deal with suspects and possible passengers/potential victims of trafficking referred to the BDHC by airlines and partner agencies and to undertake checks against confidential databases.
Duties will include:
- Receiving, handling and disseminating intelligence information.
- Operational support to NCA Managers.
- Identify opportunities to capture SOC intelligence.
- Analyse available intelligence in order to identify new SOC operations.
- Support senior officers when providing training to external partners
- Liaising with external partners and analysing information to identify trends.
- Work and research cases that merit further investigation
Key Competences Required:
- Seeing the big picture
- Making effective decisions
- Leading and communicating
- Collaborating and partnering
- Managing a quality service
- Language: English
- Level of language required: Fluent
Skills / Experience / Qualifications
- Essential on arrival: Ability to gather relevant intelligence
- Drafting of tactical and thematic intelligence reports
- An understanding/awareness of UK law enforcement capabilities/investigative legislation.
- Mentoring the Project Support Officers with delegated administrative duties
- Work with programme leads and implementing partners to monitor progress against set criteria to deliver programme and component objectives.
- Providing administrative/operational support to the Project Mentors as required
- Be able to work quickly, accurately, flexibly (there may be times when unsocial hours of attendance will be required i.e. evening/weekends) often under time pressure.
- Have a positive approach to tackling problems.
- Willingness to take on new and challenging tasks.
- Good communication with excellent spoken and written English.
- The ability to remain customer focused, polite and courteous under pressure.
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with little supervision, to regularly meet challenging targets across the range of duties.
- The ability to effectively handle large volumes of information and identify trends.
- Excellent team players - this is an “all for one and one for all” environment.
- At least 2 years of Intelligence/administrative experience
- Fluency in English, orally and in writing
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft software, particularly Excel and MS Access databases would advantageous.