Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Languages Required: English French
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- Under the overall supervision of the Project Coordinator and the substantive guidance of UNODC ECOWAS Project Regional the Forensic Expert, the intern will work closely with project team members located in Abuja and Dakar, as well as national and sub-regional counterparts to ensure the effectiveness of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Intern will carry out the following activities:
- Draft, edit, design and facilitate the publication of a West African forensic capacity evaluation directory based on available internally generated and open source materials;
- Coordinate the creation, collection and formatting of training and conference presentation materials;
- Draft official communications, press releases, speeches and articles for project team members and ROSEN management personnel;
- Maintain and update the project internet and social media pages;
- Facilitate the production and dissemination of public information material through website, brochures, posters, letters, e-mails, and broadcasts in various languages as required reaching a wide public audience;
- Facilitate the implementation of official travel missions and associated project activities throughout the region;
- Providing administrative and general organisational assistance; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively in French and in English;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with Research Officer and colleagues to achieve organisational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and is able to perceive scenarios from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
- A first-level university Degree in Communication, Economics, Political Science, or related field;
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree programme in a graduate school (second university degree or higher); or if pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages, have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree;
- Undergraduates who have not completed at least three years of full-time studies and those graduates with a higher degree who have already completed all of their studies are not eligible to participate in the internship programme.
- No professional work experience required.
- English or French are the working languages of the United Nations;
- For the position advertised full professional fluency in French, with proven drafting and communication skills, is required. The ability to speak English with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most conversations on practical, social, and professional topics, is also required.