Purpose of the Assignment
The health Specialist in close collaboration with other partners at State level, will work with the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) and the State Primary Health Care Development Agency (SPHCDA) to achieve the main objective which is: Each ward in Yobe State has a functional PHC facility by end 2017 and Improved Immunization coverage to 80% by end of 2017.
- Develop a PHC implementation plan for the State and monitor its implementation
- Liaise with BMGF, the Dangote Foundation and the State Governor's office to ensure commitments are met
- Support the State to analyze and define LGAs with high numbers of un-immunized children and communities which are not being reached, the major bottlenecks, and the reasons for them.
- Support the State to update and start implementing operational plans that include specific strategies, activities, and funding for reaching the unreached and reducing number of un-immunized.
- Support the State to develop and start implementing 'evidence-based' communication strategies
- Support training activities and other capacity development activities of State Government for their health/immunization personnel
- Support State and LGA level supportive supervision, monitoring and evaluation of health/immunization programmes.
- Support the documentation, reporting and sharing of innovations, success stories and programme activities related to health/immunization in the assigned State.
- Monthly work plans
- Monthly progress reports on implementation and achievements of planned activities and milestones (Monthly statutory reports)
- Specific activity reports where necessary (e.g. Training Report for State counterparts capacity building)
- Trip reports on each mission travel and Notes for the Record (NFR) on meetings attended
- One end-of-mission report with a PowerPoint presentation for debriefing of partners at State and national level
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Master's in Public Health and University degree in Health related technical field.
- At least five years progressively responsible experience in designing, implementing and evaluating of health projects particularly, primary health care.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN working language an asset. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station, an asset.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Commitment to continuous learning for professional development.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF's mission and professional values.
Years of relevant experience:
- Five years of relevant work experience at the national and/or international levels in development, planning, programming, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and managing of primary health care /Immunization programmes.