Job Reference Code: RS-SMD-003
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer workstations, utilizing one or more TCP/IP or non-TCP/IP networking protocols and/or one or more UNIX-based or non-UNIX based operating systems.
- Administer servers, storage systems and other similar equipment to ensure that they function properly
- Test and deploy software updates and patches to ensure that the versions on Company equipment are always up to date.
- Evaluate and/or recommend purchases of computers, network hardware, peripheral equipment and software;
- Investigate user problems, identify their sources, determine possible solutions, test and implement solutions.
- Install, configure and maintain personal computers, servers, computer workstations, file servers, ethernet networks, network cabling, and other related equipment, devices, and systems; add or upgrade and configure modems, disk drives, data acquisition systems, access control systems, printers and related equipment.
- Plan and implement network security, including building firewalls, security applications, managing host security, file permissions, backup and disaster recovery plans, file system integrity, and adding and deleting users.
- Perform research and deploy new technologies
- Deploy and administer telecommunications equipment/networks, including VOIP.
- Manage CCTV, biometric security and any other security and access control systems used in the Company
- Enforce and manage compliance with the Password Policy and password recovery.
- Manage the Company’s software inventory, track license statuses and ensure licensing compliance
- Troubleshoot networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
- Manage the RusselSmith email system. This includes setting up accounts and forwarders, deactivations, archiving and ensuring availability.
- Active Directory management and user provisioning
- Administer the Datacenter and all the equipment in it.
- Assist users in maximizing use of networks and computing systems.
- Track and manage the Business Solutions Asset Inventory
- Prepare and submit reports on System Administration, support and network security and other areas as required.
- Identify utilization patterns and their effect on operation/system availability and performance expectations.
- Anticipate communication and networking problems and implement preventive measures.
- Establish and perform maintenance programs following company and vendor standards.
- Ensure timely user notification of maintenance requirements and effects on system availability.
- Investigate, recommend and install enhancements and operating procedures that optimize network availability.
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed by the network.
- Develop and maintain documentation on the features and status of the network and enterprise applications
- Document IT problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Provide IT support to personnel in other departments.
- Provide on-the-job training to new department staff members.
- Provide IT training and orientation to new company staff
- Departmental Reports- Generate the required weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually and annually reports and presentations.
- To provide comprehensive, effective and efficient administrative support to all departments.
- Performs other duties as required or as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- A minimum of 2-5years experience
- Knowledge of a range of computer networking systems and languages to include UNIX or similar computer networks
- Knowledge of computing and network hardware and peripheral equipment
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel
- Ability to install, configure, and maintain personal computers, networks, and related hardware and software.
- Knowledge of copyright laws as they pertain to the use of computer software
- Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques
- Occasional travel by airplane and automobile in conducting business is necessary. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential.
- Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
- The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer monitor.