An exciting role has arisen for a talented Junior Sous Chef to join MJ's Steakhouse at Al Qasr in Madinat Jumeirah. The main purpose of this role is to assist the Sous Chef or Chef de Cuisine to set standards and maintain them to the Madinat Jumeirah standards. In addition, to ensure the smooth operation of the kitchen by optimising the use of materials and manpower, thereby maximising revenue and guest satisfaction.
- Assisting the Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef in the supervision of all colleagues engaged in the kitchen.
- Attending daily meetings with the Executive Chef/Executive Sous-Chef regarding the menus.
- Attending meetings as required in the Operational Manual and update the Executive Chef/Executive Sous Chef on points raised.
- Assisting the Chef de cuisine/Sous Chef in establishing culinary standards specific to banquets which meet the needs of the target market.
- Assisting the Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef in planning menus and recipes and test samples in conjunction with the Executive Chef/Executive Sous Chef.
- Identifying market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and the local Market.
- Planning and implementing effective skills training programmes in conjunction with the Training Manager and Departmental Trainers.
- Maximising colleagues' productivity and morale and consistently maintain discipline following hotel guidelines and local legislation.
- Instructing on the correct usage of kitchen equipment and machinery and to check that is carried out in the correct manner by all kitchen colleagues as set out by the Health & Safety regulations and correcting the usage if necessary.
- Checking on a daily basis food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control
- Reporting accidents and sickness in the log Book and to report any such incidents to the Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef on a daily basis.
- Reporting any problems regarding failure of machinery and small equipment to the Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef and to follow up and ensure the necessary work has been carried out.
- Instructing on the correct usage of kitchen equipment and machinery and to check that this is carried out in the correct manner by all kitchen colleagues as set out by the Health & Safety regulations and correct the usage if necessary.
- Ensuring that the standards set by the Company's Policy and Procedures regarding personal hygiene are maintained by all Kitchen colleagues.
- Ensuring that the daily logbook is utilised, and complaints are immediately reported to the Chef de Cuisine/Sous Chef.
In order to be considered for this role, you will have a recognised qualification in Culinary and have proven experience working in a similar role or as a Chef de Partie in a Steakhouse or a restaurant with particular focus on grilled food.
This is a very "hands on" and demanding position so it is paramount that you work well in a team but are also able to set standards and lead by example at all times. You must be comfortable working under pressure and be passionate about producing cuisine of the highest possible standards.
This position offers a highly competitive salary and package which include: your own single room accommodation/live out allowance, free transport to and from your place of work, uniform, laundry services, meals during working hours, annual flight allowance, medical coverage, life and accident insurance, retail and leisure discounts, 50% discount off Jumeirah F&B Outlets and reduced hotel rates.