• Analyze organic or inorganic compounds to determine chemical or physical properties, composition, structure, relationships, or reactions, using chromatography, spectroscopy, or spectrophotometry techniques.
• Conduct quality control tests.
• Maintain laboratory instruments to ensure proper working order and troubleshoot malfunctions when needed.
• Prepare test solutions, compounds, or reagents for laboratory personnel to conduct tests.
• Induce changes in composition of substances by introducing heat, light, energy, or chemical catalysts for quantitative or qualitative analysis.
• Evaluate laboratory safety procedures to ensure compliance with standards or to make improvements as needed.
• Compile and analyze test information to determine process or equipment operating efficiency or to diagnose malfunctions. • Write technical papers or reports or prepare standards and specifications for processes, facilities, products, or tests.
• Confer with scientists or engineers to conduct analyses of research projects, interpret test results, or develop nonstandard tests.
• Develop, improve, or customize products, equipment, formulas, processes, or analytical methods.